bravo 1 damage

ericcarr2000

Ensign
I recently purchased my 1990 250 sundancer this year. When I pulled her out for the season, I had noticed that there was a piece broken off of the outdrive approximately an inch and a half long. Ill try to post pics here but in the past for some reason I haven't been successful. The piece missing is just behind the prop on the round portion of it.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
that drive is pretty well shot, not rebuildable with the corrosion damage. pics using photobucket.com work and its free .post some of the rest of the drive and the transom area

ericcarr2000

Ensign
I'm not wanting to rebuild it, I just want to know if it will get me through the next couple seasons is all. I haven't had any problems with it as of yet.

Bondo

Staff member
I'm not wanting to rebuild it, I just want to know if it will get me through the next couple seasons is all. I haven't had any problems with it as of yet.

Ayuh,.... That broke out piece is outside the oil seal surface, No real problem there,...

Donno's there's 2 more years in it or not,...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Holy check your zincs batman. that is a fair amount of galvanic corrosion.

alldodge

Staff member
+1 with Bondo, don't know if you have two more seasons. To nurse it though I would suggest, sand and wire wheel it down the best you can. Prime and paint it to get a good coating on it, 2 to 4 coats each. Replace the zincs and check your mercathod output. Will need the probe 76675A1

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Techbk/97/97hs7.pdf

ericcarr2000

Ensign
Heres a few more pics I just got done taking. Ill probably just replace the lower unit seeins how the upper really don't have that much corrosion on it. Give me your thoughts.
Another question I have is in the video I posted, there are a couple holes drilled in each trim tab. Am I wrong to assume that the previous owner had some zincs on there and removed them?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI1ynrpk-jY&feature=youtu.be

Bondo

Staff member
Heres a few more pics I just got done taking. Ill probably just replace the lower unit seeins how the upper really don't have that much corrosion on it. Give me your thoughts.
Another question I have is in the video I posted, there are a couple holes drilled in each trim tab. Am I wrong to assume that the previous owner had some zincs on there and removed them?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI1ynrpk-jY&feature=youtu.be

Ayuh,..... If that's the results of yer compression test, at the start of that vid,....

You need a New Motor, that ones Junk,... a rebuildable core, at Best,....

ericcarr2000

Ensign
I removed my bravo drive last week for maintenance and was surprised on how tight everything seemed to be along with how nice the drive fluid looked, no shaving whatsoever in it or anything. So after further consideration I will not be replacing my lower unit, just gonna scuff it up, primer it and give it about 5 coats of appliance epoxy paint. Looks real nice now.
My question is, I want to repaint my trim cylinders. When I hook them back up is there some sort of a technique I have to do to "Bleed" them like a hydraulic brake line on a car?
Can I just re-connect them and fill the fluid?

alldodge

Staff member
Hook them up and run them up and down. I have prior to connecting them let them hang down and run them up/down. Either way they will bleed the air out.