Mercruiser 3.0L 1994 - No Spark

tkdm

Cadet
I own a 1994 pontoon with a mercruiser 3.0L engine with EST ignition that turns over, but will not start. I check for spark at the plugs and no spark. At the battery, there is 12.43 volts. With the key on, there is 12.29 volts on both sides of the breaker. There is no lanyard. There is 11.47 volts for the purple wire going into the coil, 11.49 volts at the brown wire and 11.50 volts at the pink wire.

We order a new coil thinking the coil was the problem, but it still doesn’t start. The engine started the previous year without issue and successfully winterized. It has been out of the water all summer, but I want to winterize the engine again just in case.

Is 11.47 volts on the purple wire going to the coil an acceptable voltage? If not, what can I check to determine the decrease in voltage? If the voltage is ok, what are the recommended next steps to triage the issue. What is the correct way to bypass the shift cutoff switch? Attached is a photo of the distributor without the cover.

I am mechanically inclined, but no familiar with the distributor and how it works? The boat is located up north so as many suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If you have questions, please let me know.

Thanks
Tim

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Normally Mercruisers will have a spark killer switch as part of the shift mechanism. Make sure that is not the issue. I have found that a service manual will make troubleshooting the MerCruiser ignition a lot easier, as they are not the same as outboards or autos.

You might repost this in the MerCruiser I/O forum.

tkdm

Cadet
No Title

Thanks for moving this post to the appropriate forum. I do have a service manual for the engine, but need a little guidance in addition. I also attached a picture of the distributor with the cover off.
The engine serial number is 0F141776.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
Check the kill switch on the throttle handle, make sure it is in thr RUN position. Easy to forget or someone (Kids) turn it while in the boat. Has happened to me a time or two.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
Check the kill switch on the throttle handle, make sure it is in the RUN position. Easy to forget or someone (Kids) turn it while in the boat. Has happened to me a time or two.

tkdm

Cadet
Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure this pontoon doesn't have a kill switch, but I will check just in case.

I asked a quite a few questions in the original post, but I'm wondering if you know if 11.47 volts on the purple wire going to the coil an acceptable voltage? This is an important question because this may directed me to triage something prior to this connection. The battery as 12.50~ volts.

Thanks
Tim