Throttle handle loose on Mercontrol. How is it fixed?

redgoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The throttle handle is loose on my 47-year-old Sea Ray with a Mercruiser control. The control shifts flawlessly but the handle for some reason is loose. The handle has splines that go into the control housing. The model Mercontrol is either B-34744A1 or B-44958A2-A5. I got these numbers from page 7C3 of the Mercury Service Manual Volume II C-90-68648. From the illustration in the book, it would appear that all I have to do is tighten the screw at the opposite side of the control box. How difficult is it to do this? The control housing has been worked on numerous times for various issues but the handle was never loose after each repair. Any suggestions?

redgoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There is no set screw on handle. The handle and splined knob are all one piece. Handle has to be somehow fastened within control box.

Bondo

Staff member
The throttle handle is loose on my 47-year-old Sea Ray with a Mercruiser control. The control shifts flawlessly but the handle for some reason is loose. The handle has splines that go into the control housing. The model Mercontrol is either B-34744A1 or B-44958A2-A5. I got these numbers from page 7C3 of the Mercury Service Manual Volume II C-90-68648. From the illustration in the book, it would appear that all I have to do is tighten the screw at the opposite side of the control box. How difficult is it to do this? The control housing has been worked on numerous times for various issues but the handle was never loose after each repair. Any suggestions?

Ayuh,..... Have You worked on it, or ya hired the work out,..??

Can you access the backside of it,..?? What'd ya find,..??

redgoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Always had a marine mechanic service the control box. However, I am handy and willing to partially take case apart if it is a quick, easy fix.

Bondo

Staff member
Always had a marine mechanic service the control box. However, I am handy and willing to partially take case apart if it is a quick, easy fix.

Ayuh,.... Wherever yer control is, there's no doubt access, by pullin' a panel, somewhere,...

I can't see it, but there's Gotta be a way to service it,....

fishrdan

Admiral
usually a setscrew in the bottom of the handel

^^^ Yup, did you look at the bottom side of the handle? It's kind of hidden and you would miss it unless looking for it,,,, at least that's the way it was on my '73 Mercontrol. Not sure if you's is the exact same design as mine, but they are close in age.

I was into that 73 Mercontrol a couple of times and never messed with the big screw on the back of the remote control, looked like that screw was the main anchor point, IE: shouldn't loosen.

redgoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Problem solved. There was indeed a long screw from the opposite side of the control box that went through the control box and screwed into the handle. I had to remove the control box from its mount but did not have to open it to make this 15 minute repair. A few turns on the screw head and the handle was again snug. What a quick fix!