1996 Four Winns , 4.3L engine and suspect water impeller is going ...

mtbdudex

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I did my winterizing yesterday - Saturday 20th, everything seemed ok, however upon letting the engine warm up before I fogged it I noticed a noise from the lower portion when Idle 700 rpms, when 1000 or more it's gone.

Took a brief YouTube clip, I suspect water impeller is going

mtbdudex

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I had problem posting YouTube video ti 1st post, so here is 2nd post with it

mtbdudex

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey Mod - I am having problem posting YouTube video of my engine issue.....help

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
when was the last time you replaced the impeller. it should be replaced every other year in salt water, and max every 5 years in fresh water.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Just post the link to the video, like ...youtube.com/xyz123 (use copy and paste of the URL).

mtbdudex

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I last replaced the impeller 4-5 years ago, it's fresh water and the boat has seen very little usage, like 25 hours or so in past 4 years.
Too busy with other "stuff" in life
Here's the youtube video

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
hours of use mean little. its hours of time. rubber ages.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You answered your own question. Lack of use is more detrimental to rubber bits than anything else. Take some time and replace the impeller. While you are at it, do some annual maintenance like changing the lower unit lube and an oil/filter change, if you haven't already.

Fun Times

Staff member
It may be the video but it also appears like the impeller housing area may be leaking water as I seen water movement down there.

As a test and depending on accessibility, look into removing the impeller "belt" and start the engine for a few short seconds to see if the noise goes away.

Good luck.

DaveG55

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Random thoughts.

I don't think it's possible to change the impeller without changing the drive oil?

Why would you rebuild an outdrive and not change the impeller?

You should really change the oil yearly with the possible exception of the boat being stored in a climate controlled situation. Otherwise condensation is likely to contaminate the oil.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Random thoughts.

I don't think it's possible to change the impeller without changing the drive oil?

Why would you rebuild an outdrive and not change the impeller?

You should really change the oil yearly with the possible exception of the boat being stored in a climate controlled situation. Otherwise condensation is likely to contaminate the oil.

Dave, did you watch the video? This is an engine mounted raw water pump, not in the drive, like a standard alpha. It's difficult to tell, but it's either got a closed cooling system or it's a Bravo drive. Either way, no pump in the drive....

Fun Times

Staff member
It's difficult to tell, but it's either got a closed cooling system or it's a Bravo drive. Either way, no pump in the drive....
That's because it's a Volvo and as Mod's we're slacking off.:sleep::D Moving this to the Volvo forum now.:high5: