3.0 sprays water when running

jimmoe

Seaman Apprentice
I'm lookin at buying this boat with a "strong running, easy starting", 140HP Mercuiser 3.0 and Mercuiser outdrive. Not sure what generation outdrive but it does not look like my other Alpha One. It sprays water when running, on the port side at about 1 o'clock between the rear of the engine block and housing behind it. Cracked block ? Gasket ? Anyone have this happen before or know what I might be lookin at to repair it ?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
need some pics, use photobucket.com could be headgasket, rear of block, rear of exaust manifold. cracked water inlet hose, loose clamp,etc.

tinkerguy70

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Mine was cracked toward the front of the block, kind of up and behind the manifold. To my understanding, this is the common place for cracks on the 3.0. It only dripped a little when running and I bought the boat in a non-running state. Fortunately, it was an fairly easy repair with JB-Weld and confirmed with a pressure test afterward.

Personally, I would not buy a boat with an obvious engine water leak unless it was so cheap I felt like I stole it. If you do decide to buy it, you might want to figure in a replacement engine in your purchase price.

jimmoe

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks Guys, for bringing me back to reality..... I think I'll pass on this one.
Hey Tinkerguy! The 3.0 that I already have has a "trickle" leak just as you describe above...it didn't show up running on the muff but did on the lake. I plan on fixing it this winter, It's hidden up behind the front of the manifold like you said. I've been wondering if its the block, manifold or Gasket. Good to know ahead of time that it's common for it to be the block. What all did it involve to get to it and fix it.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Mine was cracked in the same place,it was not winterized properly before I bought it,but ran like a champ. $250.00 for the entire boat. Yeah I stole it in a way. Had to rebuild all the stringers on up. I repaired the crack by removing the manifold and veeing the crack a bit,adding something called meta-lox that is similar to jb but a tad stronger. No issues. Meta-lox is no longer made as I cant find it anywhere any more. The stuff I have I got from an old timer,well older than me.... Jb will work just fine.