No water circulation

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you will need to run a tap in it if it has sat for a bit of time. rust has developed on the threads. to run the tap in, you will need to grind down the tip as the tap will most likely bottom out on the cylinder liner.

you will need to measure your current cable, then buy a replacement cable

you will need your serial number for your drive for parts.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
a 1/8th inch pipe plug will measure around a 1/4 inch ,a 1/4 inch pipe plug will be closer to 1/2 inch in diameter

Bondo

Staff member
Perhaps the threads are buggered up and I need to run a tap down it.

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... Just be Careful runnin' the tap into the hole, as ya know, pipe thread is tapered, 'n ya can make the hole too Big to seal,....

Also,... Be careful the tip of the tap don't bottom out into the back-wall of the cavity, 'n bust it into the oil cavity,....

Triam

Cadet
So, I got to work on it this weekend. I got out my control cables and replaced them. I took the outdrive apart and replace the impeller inside. Everything looked pretty good as far as I could see. I didn't start it up so I haven't tested the impeller yet, but I'll do that next time I'm working on it. The one thing I didn't get to was the plug on the side of the engine.
What else do I need to do? I plan on pouring in either acetone or MEK into the gas tank and then siphoning it out to clean out the varnish. I'm also planning on adding (maybe changing) the hydraulic fluid on the trim adjustment.
My dad said last time they took it out that there was water leaking in from the outdrive. What do I need to do there?
One last thing, what oil do I need to add to the outdrive? I couldn't find the exact type like the manual said.

Last edited:

Triam

Cadet
Okay, so I've finally returned to this project. So I started it up and the new impeller is pumping water up to the engine, but the water doesn't exit out the prop. Is that where it's supposed to go out? If it's not exiting does that then mean that I need a new water pump on the engine?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
There's 2 exhaust relief ports on the underside of the transom assembly that the water will run out of when on the muffs. It's fine that it doesn't come out the prop.

UncleWillie

Captain
Much of the water may exit at the front of the drive leg about half way up.
You should see a splash of water coming out the prop.
There should be a total of 3-5 gallons of water dumping out per minute.

The Impeller in the Drive delivers water to the engine.
The water pump on the engine circulates water through the block.
The two pumps are really rather independant.
If the impeller instantly failed, the water would still circulate.
And if the Circ pump intantly failed the impeller would still pump water to the engine and out the exhaust.
Without both pumps operating, the engine would overheat in short order however.
One gets water to the engine, the other circulates it through the block.