Retainer Nut - Mercruiser Alpha One Gen 2

spartenos

Seaman Apprentice
Good Morning!

With the help I have got here, Service manual 14, and the seloc manual, I am just about there!

I was even able to get rolling torque right on the SECOND try!

I have a question on the retainer nut...... I know spec is 200 ft/lbs or 120 if using the wrench with a torque wrench in the square hole....... I have gotten the nut to the limit of my 100 ft/lbs torque wrench and hit it a few times with a mallet to ensure it was where it should be. The problem is that I still can see a couple threads of the retainer nut. All of the images that I have viewed online seem to show it flush in the housing.

Does this mean that I am not truly to the proper torque and that no threads should be showing? Does it mean I might have done something else wrong?

Or is it nothing and I am just worrying too much?

spartenos

Seaman Apprentice
I did, and since my wrench doesn't go that high, I went to as high as it went (100 ft/lbs), and took the advice from some other sites that I read that said hit it with a mallet\deadblow a few times to get there.

Is the proper thing at this point to bit the bullet and buy the proper torque wrench that reads that high?

I still have my first question as well - regardless of torque - is it a problem if any threads are showing on the nut?

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If your torque wrench is less than 15in and inserted into the square hole,you do not need any more than 100.More like 90.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
First thing, toss that seloc. Nothing but garbage.

A couple of threads show could be right. To confirm you have it right (and not crossed up the retainer :facepalm:) you have 2 tests to do. First test, grab the yoke and pull and push it as hard as you can in and out of the housing. There should be no movement, at all. Second test is a little more subtle. hold the yoke straight out from the housing and very gently turn it back and forth. Up should 'feel' the backlash between the drive gear and the driven gear. It should 'feel' like about 5 to 10 thou... If you have a 'pass' on both of those, you win. If not, try reassembling until, you win... :D

Chris......

achris

More fish than mountain goat
If your torque wrench is less than 15in and inserted into the square hole,you do not need any more than 100.More like 90.

The wrench (special tool) is 12" long, so in order for the required torque on a torque wrench to be half the reading on the nut, the torque wrench will need to be...12" long. If the torque wrench is longer, the required toque goes up.... If the torque wrench is 15" long, the require torque will be 111lb-ft.... For the required torque to be 90lb-ft the torque wrench will need to be only about 9-1/2" long.

OP, how long is your torque wrench?

Chris.....

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant
+1 Chris....

The confusion often comes in because people get mixed up between "actual" (required) torque, and "indicated" (what the wrench is to set at, or for a dial wrench, what it "reads").
wrench setting = desired torque x wrench length / (wrench length + extension length)

For this example lets say that the length of the torque wrench is 12 inches, and the length of the extension (special tool) is 12 inches. The desired final (actual) torque is 200 ft-lbs.

Wrench setting = 200 x 12 / (12 + 12)
= 200 x 12 / 24
= 100 ft-lbs.

If the torque wrench is 15 inches long:

Wrench setting = 200 x 15 / (15 + 12)
= 200 x 15 / 27
= 111 ft-lbs.

The OP said "
I know spec is 200 ft/lbs or 120 if using the wrench with a torque wrench in the square hole....... " So that tells me his wrench was 18 inches long....plus the 12 inches for the spanner.

http://www.freeinfostuff.com/TorqueE...eExtension.htm

Last edited:

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
For those who are "mathematically challenged" :), you can simply measure your torque wrench and use the chart included in the manual.

Torquechartforupperbearingretainer_zpsfe0fa8b1.jpg