Manually spinning over a 1975 Mercruiser 165 L6

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Some of the old truck engines were not drilled for the front mount, or even have the lug cast in place. Just check that...

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Some of the old truck engines were not drilled for the front mount, or even have the lug cast in place. Just check that...

Yep. If they do not have the casting in place, they can still be used... just requires a bit of work. But it is something to check and be aware of.

UncleFluffy

Cadet
so then I can use the Nova Engine and swap over the listed marine parts and I'll be ok? Or should I be looking for a truck engine instead?

Bondo

Staff member
so then I can use the Nova Engine and swap over the listed marine parts and I'll be ok? Or should I be looking for a truck engine instead?

Ayuh,... It really don't matter,.... An old motor in the backyard will need Refreshin' in some shape or form,...

Durin' the rebuild, ya use the components ya need for a Boat motor,...

There's only 2 block castin's, those without the ear, 'n those with the ear,...

If the ear Ain't there, like Mark said, you can fab up a mount to replace the missin' ear,....

Last edited:

UncleFluffy

Cadet
They're not in the backyard or anything. My father is a mechanic's teacher and he has these engines sitting in the shop from a couple of vehicle projects that his students and he are working on....I will have him take a look and get some pictures for me. I'm glad to hear that I just have to change over the Mercruiser parts to the Nova Engine (starter, alternator, distributor, water pump, head, manifold and freeze plugs). If there is anything else that I have to change over other than what I have listed, please let me know. Thanks again for all the help guys. Winter is quickly approaching here and I think I'm going to just pull the motor and put the two engines side by side and swap parts over and have it ready for install in the spring...