Oil drain kit...

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
I've got a 1987 3.0 GM 181.. it's got an oil pan and drain plug. anyone use the oil drain kits for this engine? is the oil plug size 1/2 in x 20? it seems you screw the kit in place of the oil pan plug and leave the hose coiled up below it in the bilge cavity, when changing oil you run the other end of the hole out the transom plug hole.. am I correct in this assumption??... if so, thinking of getting one,, changing the oil is a drag as there is not enough room below the pan plug hole to fit a 4-5 qt catch basin.... I could just let it run out the transom plug hole and catch it there, clean up mess...if this kit works well, would rather just do that.. thanks for input

thumpar

Admiral
I don't know about the thread size but yes they make those. There is also the pump you can buy that screws on where the dipstick goes. I use the pump because I am afraid of something happening to the hose that attaches to the oil pan type drain.

alldodge

Staff member
I've got a 1987 3.0 GM 181.. it's got an oil pan and drain plug. anyone use the oil drain kits for this engine? is the oil plug size 1/2 in x 20? it seems you screw the kit in place of the oil pan plug and leave the hose coiled up below it in the bilge cavity, when changing oil you run the other end of the hole out the transom plug hole.. am I correct in this assumption??... if so, thinking of getting one,, changing the oil is a drag as there is not enough room below the pan plug hole to fit a 4-5 qt catch basin.... I could just let it run out the transom plug hole and catch it there, clean up mess...if this kit works well, would rather just do that.. thanks for input

Have a couple of buddies which uses the method your discussing, and it does work. So if you don't have a pump to suck it out the dip stick, this will work. They also make one which does the same thing and comes with a 12V pump. You mount the pump in the engine compartment and changing oil is even easier. I have one but never used it, still use the dip stick. Maybe some day I'll give it a whirl. ;)

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
I have one on my 3 liter - works great. Has a clip so you can keep the end of the hose above the level of the oil, in case the plug is loose for whatever reason. Easily pulls through the drain hole in the transom. Drains relatively fast as long as the engine is warmed up to operating temp.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I installed one on the Rogue when I had the motor out. now I can drop the drain oil hose thru the floor drain. it does take about a half hour to drain.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I built 1 of those for my motor years ago, 'n used to use it,... it's S L O W,.....

I bought a mouller pump up vacuum tank, 'n suck it out the dipstick now-a-days,....
Pretty Handy tool, I use it Alot, for alotta things,...

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I took mine off and installed a regular drain plug on it when I had the motor out for transom work. I use the vacuum pump as Bondo does. While its sucking out the oil,I change fuel filter and oil filters. Half hour,tidy up done.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Merc have had the system you describe on the V6 and V8 engines for about 10 years now. I HAD that on mine, but the 'sump plug' with the hose fitting was brass and broke very quickly. I machined up a SS bolt to do the job, minus the hose attachment, as I have always just done as Bondo and co do, suck it out through the dipstick tube with a vacuum tank. Including changing the filter, I have my oil and filter change done before you could feed the drain hose through the hull drain hole.

Chris.......