R drive upper unit

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I am pulling my driveshaft to replace my u joints,do I need to take the bearing pack apart and replace oil seals if I had the upper resealed last year and it is currently holding pressure before I have removed the driveshaft? If so could you flip me a part number for the kit?Thanks-Blair

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Not sure what your asking, if you have the old gearset ,you slide the gears off and on and just torque the nut, if you have the newer gearset you press the gears off the yoke, and use the rolling torque method when you press them back on.

bspeth

I have the older style 6683545.Do I even need to disassemble the gearset to replace the oil seal and carrier,or can I just replace the u joints with the gearset on the yoke?I think the carrier and oil seal are in good shape as they were replaced last fall,however I did get water in the drive via the bellows.Thanks

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
It is possable by grinding away one of the ears to get clearance to pop off a U joint

bspeth

Yes I think that is entirely possible,I do have the wrench in the mail though, and didn't know if the grinding method would cause the retainer nut to be weakened.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Replace the unis without even pulling the gear and bearing pack out of the housing.You can even do it without draining the oil.

Chris.......