Winterizing Inboard without antifreeze?

Mike S22

Recruit
Last year I had my 5.7 inboard winterized by a shop that did not use antifreeze to protect the cooling system from freezing. They have been doing engines this way for years without any issues. We didn't have any problem with freezing and it ran fine this summer and I'm wondering if anyone else has done this and how it can be accomplished. I'd like to do it myself to save money and if antifreeze isn't necessary, better yet.

alldodge

Staff member
Last year I had my 5.7 inboard winterized by a shop that did not use antifreeze to protect the cooling system from freezing. They have been doing engines this way for years without any issues. We didn't have any problem with freezing and it ran fine this summer and I'm wondering if anyone else has done this and how it can be accomplished. I'd like to do it myself to save money and if antifreeze isn't necessary, better yet.

To start off with I take it you have a raw water cooled engine? Also what year is it?
IMO the best way to winterize is with air, and as Bondo says "air don't freeze". After you have changed the oil and filter, just pull the drain plugs on each side of the block and the exhaust. Make sure to stick a wire or small screw drive up there to make sure all the water comes out. Do the same for the power steering cooler. Remove the large bottom hose going into the water circulating pump and drain the water from it.

and :welcome: to iboats

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Howdy

Welcome aboard.

This issue is argued every Fall.

You do not need to use Anti-freeze. (period)

You MUST however, ENSURE that you drain every bit of weater from the block, manifolds and every other place that water might pool.
(If you want to pour RV/Marine AF in the engine after draining, you can but it is essentially unnecessary.........if there's no water in confined areas, there's nothing to produce ice)

To that end, remove block drains (don't just open petcocks)and manifolds drains. Use a thin screwdriver, nail, wire etc to poke into the holes and dislodge debris and rust flakes.

Remove hoses that might pool water (the "big" one on your circulating pump) lower the drive so any water drains from it and if it sits outside, rain cannot run into the prop area.

There's other things that you should do for Winterization.......Check the "sticky" message threads at the top of the forum for more info on DIY "stuff"

Regards,

Rick

Mike S22

Recruit
Thanks for the quick responses!

The boat is 2003 and is raw water cooled. I gather from your responses that draining is key and there shouldn't be any need to blow anything out with air. The boat is always stored inside, but the garage could dip below 32.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... As noted above, Air, just Don't Freeze,.....
No need for any sorta antifreeze, just a waste of money,.....
All ya gotta do is Drain everything,... Gravity, 'n Air do all the work,...

Tell Us, Exactly what yer motor, 'n drive are, 'n We'll tell ya exactly Where the drains are,...

Mike S22

Recruit
The engine is a MerCruiser 350 Mag MPI and it is in a 2003 Gekko GTR 22.

Thanks for your help!

thumpar

Admiral
I just drain mine. I don't know if inboards have power steering or not but if so it probably has a power steering cooler that would need to be drained also. If it has cool fuel that is another thing to drain. I take the hoses off the engine driven pump and bump the starter with the lanyard switch in the off position just to empty it too. My boat is garage stored but it gets into the - F temps here for a few days usually and the garage is detatched. Never had a problem.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
I too just drain it.. save the money wasted on antifreeze and buy your oil filter w it.. as to the statement above that every bit of water needs to be removed...thats impossible.. do your. Due dilligence to remove as much as u can..prob drain holes w weed whacker line..pull water hose.. your engine will sleep well. Empty.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
If it REALLY bothers you, use a Shop-Vac to suck out any residual water from the holes and hoses you open up..............

achris

More fish than mountain goat
All I can say... "What's anti-freeze?" Never use the stuff, complete waste of time and money.