Oil leak from plastic "valve" on top of valve cover

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
It part of the engine crankcase venting system. blow-by from running the engine enters the crankcase from the rings and is sent out that fitting, thru a hose to the carb flame arrestor, and eventually the vapor is sucked into the carb and re-burned.

Msh0271

Cadet
Apparently my problem didn't post. I noticed a small amount of oil under the engine a few weeks ago. Long story short I figured out later on the oil was coming from there. I've always had some oil steadily on the valve cover but it's so much now that it's running down the engine and pooling. Oil level is perfect. Hasn't really used any. I've out 40 hours in the boat this summer and added a half quart. Thanks for any help.

scatgo

Petty Officer 1st Class
What condition is the rubber bushing between the PCV valve and the valve cover? The bushing plugs into the valve cover then the PCV valve plugs into the bushing. If the bushing is leaking that would cause a little oil to drip out. Pematex will help. If the PCV valve is jamming up it can cause it to leak. New PCV valve new rubber bushing plus permatex = no more leak.

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
That's not a PCV valve. It's just a metal elbow There is no vacuum on it to suck vapours. It's not uncommon for then to weep a little oil. The vapours condense inside the corrugated tubing and eventually leak down and flow out of the tube.

Chris......

scatgo

Petty Officer 1st Class
@ MSH0271 post a pic of where the hose meets the air filter.

Msh0271

Cadet
Yea I posted a pic of it on the first post. I new to this forum so I'm trying to figure it out. I also had a nice large detailed paragraph that didn't post. But today I pulled the grommet out and its in good shape. The hose and 90 degree elbow are all in good condition. Applied Permatex around where the grommet meets the valve cover which is where the oil is blowing out of. Hopefully this helps. I will find out this weekend.

scatgo

Petty Officer 1st Class
You can see a photo in the first post? :confused: Doesn't work for me.
Worked at first. Not any more. I wanted to see If oil is just running down the hose from the air filter. Engine breathers can make a mess.

scatgo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yea I posted a pic of it on the first post. I new to this forum so I'm trying to figure it out. I also had a nice large detailed paragraph that didn't post. But today I pulled the grommet out and its in good shape. The hose and 90 degree elbow are all in good condition. Applied Permatex around where the grommet meets the valve cover which is where the oil is blowing out of. Hopefully this helps. I will find out this weekend.

The hose is a hose with a plastic cover on it?

Msh0271

Cadet
Yes it has a plastic hose that attaches to the air filter but the oil comes from the valve cover where the grommet goes in. I have plenty of pics but this site says either the fils is too big or invalid file. Just pics I took from my phone.

Msh0271

Cadet
Maybe these pics will work

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 8