2006 4.3l rebuild

MCFAM

Cadet
Does any know where I could watch a good video on replacing the head gaskets on my 2006 mecruiser 4.3l?

Fun Times

Staff member
There's probably not going to be a whole lot of step by step videos for the Mercruiser head gasket but looking around there are a few online videos for the GM V6's in the auto world. Here is one video of someone that took a bunch of photos of his Merc V6 turning it into a small video when he pulled apart his. The song he chose to use seems fitting.:rockon:

Inside the link, you should see a few other videos about head gaskets, etc. etc. that may help give you a general idea to help overcome any hesitation you may have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVglGRjMA2Q

A factory service manual is one of the most important tools you'll need.

Good luck.:)

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Priceless! Perfect music.

Just one word before you tear into it. Keep the pushrods and rockers in such a way that they can be put back where they came from (the exact location, not just the port or starboard side).

Chris.....

Last edited:

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
Priceless! Perfect music.

Just one word before you tear into it. Keep the pushrods and rockers in such a way that they can be put back where they came from (the exact location, not just the port or starboard side).

Chris.....

An old shoe box works good......... just punch holes along the top.......label accordingly, hand rockers on pushrods

achris

An old shoe box works good......... just punch holes along the top.......label accordingly, hand rockers on pushrods

I use a chunk of sponge rubber, but a shoebox would work, if I bought shoes....

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
I use a chunk of sponge rubber, but a shoebox would work, if I bought shoes....

:lol:

Heck a piece of pool noodle would work........ some use egg cartons, some use a piece of scrap wood and drill holes in it, and others spend 40 bucks on a plastic organizer made just for this purpose..............:D

Bondo

Staff member
Does any know where I could watch a good video on replacing the head gaskets on my 2006 mecruiser 4.3l?

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Why are ya changin' the head gaskets,..??

What diagnosis lead ya to bad head gaskets,..??

MCFAM

Cadet
The boat overheated at idle and died. Checked the oil and it was a quart overfilled, so I drained it and the bottom was full of oil. Did a compression check and 2 cylinders had water in them, but all cylinders checked out the same at 120. Pulled the exhaust manifolds and they looked fine, so the next thing is the head gaskets. I have the seloc repair manual but it isn't really step by step, so I would like to watch a video on it to ease my mind alittle bit. I have checked youtube but haven't been able to find a real good step by step video. Anybody got any other advice or video they know of before I take the plunge?

achris

First thing... Throw that seloc away, it's not a manual, it's toilet paper... Use this -> https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4XV6tt7Q0P-YjYwMTNjZDItODJkNi00NTAzLWE2Y2QtMDY0MGEzYjVlNjE1

Exhaust manifolds can 'look' fine, but you need to pressure test them, especially when you have 2 cylinders full of water... The other thing to check is the exhaust elbow, and again, looking is no good, you have to test them, in the case of elbows, with a big screwdriver! Put the elbow on a sturdy bench, upside down and start hitting it on the inside 'roof' with the screwdriver. Make like you are trying to punch a hole in it, because that is precisely what you're trying to do. If you do 'hole' it, then it needed replacing, no hole, throw it back on. And if one does 'hole', replace both.

Chris.....

MCFAM

Cadet
okay, I have a online service manual and a seloc. I cant find the timing settings or the steps to setting it. can someone point me in the right direction? it is a 2006 4.3 serial # 0w626880

achris

okay, I have a online service manual and a seloc. I cant find the timing settings or the steps to setting it. can someone point me in the right direction? it is a 2006 4.3 serial # 0w626880

I have the factory manuals, and neither can I.... The timing should be 8BTDC, but I can't find anywhere on how to set the ignition system in 'timing mode' to do it.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
By your serial it's a carb motor I do believe so...
V6 and V8 Carbureted Models (Thunderbolt V Ignition)
1. Connect timing light (91-99379 or similar) to No. 1 spark plug wire. Connect power supply leads, if applicable, on light to 12 volt battery. Refer to Specifications – “Engine Rotation and Firing Order” for cylinder numbering and location.
2. Connect a shop tachometer to engine.
3. Using a jumper wire, connect the ignition system timing lead (PUR/WHT wire) to a good engine ground (-). This locks the ignition module into the “Base Timing Mode”.

NOTE: Before starting engine make sure the timing tab and marks on damper are clean. Chalk or white paint on timing marks may help visibility.
4. Start engine and run at normal idle speed. Allow engine to reach normal operating temperature.
5. Aim timing light at timing tab, located on the timing gear cover and crankshaft torsional damper.
6. If adjustment is required, adjust timing by loosening distributor clamp and rotating distributor body as required until timing mark on damper or pulley lines up with the mark on tab specified in “Specifications”. Tighten clamp and recheck location of timing mark.
7. Make sure that the distributor has been tightened. Remove the jumper wire from the timing terminal.
8. Remove jumper wire between the timing lead (PUR/WHT wire) and ground (-).

IMPORTANT: Be sure to disconnect the jumper wire from between the ignition system timing lead and ground (-) before attempting to resume normal operations. If the jumper wire is left in place, the ignition module will operate in the “Base Timing Mode”. This means that the additional timing advance features would not function.
9. Stop engine and remove timing light.

MCFAM

Cadet
What should it be set out and it does have a carb how do you tell if it is a Thunderbolt V Ignition)

MCFAM

Cadet
I also need to set up the new distributor and I can't find in my manual how to do that either. can someone tell me the procedure to getting the distributor installed properly on the hitting the right cylinders?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Typically, you rotate the motor until #1 is coming up on compression, line up the timing marks on the balancer for TDC "0" , install dist with rotor contacting #1 position of the cap, firing order is a clockwise motion ,facing the motor 1,3,5 on your right, 2,4,6 on your left.

MCFAM

Cadet
I am sure you have noticed I am new to this, I want to make sure I get it right. I set the motor to #! tdc ( harmonic balancer is on 0) then I put the distributor cap on so that #1 plug wire is lined up with the rotor cap and then I will start the motor and set the timing to 10 btdc according to the instructions above. Is that the correct steps to setting the distributor and timing?

achris

Crankshaft on TDC for #1 can have the valves in one of 2 positions, you need to ensure the cylinder is on the 'compression' stroke (not the changeover from exhaust to intake, or 'blow to suck' as some would say. You're looking for the 'squeeze to bang' changeover). A few different ways of doing that, some like to hold their thumb/finger over the plug hole as they turn the engine and feel the pressure build in the cylinder, some (like me) prefer to take the rocker cover off and watch the valves move.... How you do it is up to you, but you MUST have the cylinder on the right stroke..... Or the dissy will end up 180 degrees out.

Chris.....