Speedi-Sleeve Question Alpha 1 Gen 2 1992

spartenos

Seaman Apprentice
Hey all - quick question about the Speedi-Sleeve that I am installing to fix the worn yoke (has a slight groove in it) in the upper that the oil seal sits on. My question is something that I am fairly certain I know the answer too, but wanted to double check.

The sleeve is a bit longer than the area that it needs to cover, and sticks out beyond where it needs to. Do I need to cut it flush, or can it extend beyond where it is sealing against?

Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... Drive the sleeve, All the way on, knock off the drivin; flange from the sleeve, then trim to match the aft face of the yoke, 'n polish that area, so it don't damage the seal upon installation,....

Last edited:

spartenos

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks Bondo! Quick question. ... do you know of any major places that rent a torque gauge that can read 5 in/lbs to set the rolling torque? Having trouble finding any of my friends that have one that reads that low.... Thanks again!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
image_11272.jpg
harbor freight

spartenos

Seaman Apprentice
BT - I was under the impression that you wanted a gauge to set rolling torque and you tightened it with another wrench. I have a foot/lbs click wrench I use for the other stuff. Could I effectively do the same thing as a gauge with a click wrench, assuming it was set low enough? Set it to 5 in\pounds and it would start clicking when it got to that point while turning?

Pardon my ignorance, I have wrenched on a great many things, setting rolling torque is one I haven't done. I understand the concept - just making sure I have the right tools.

Thanks!

NHGuy

Captain
You're supposed to user a torque meter not a click wrench. The meters are always over $120 when I look.
Harbor Freight's smallest torque wrench starts at 20 inch pounds, so that won't work.
I suppose you could put a 3 pound mark on a fishing scale and use a 2" torque arm. Or do 2 pounds of pull against 3" of wrench, or 1.5# x 4", 1# x 6", etc.
I don't know though, I think we should get a few meters and mail them around to each other when needed. I kinda want one myself, but I only need it rarely. Hard to justify.

spartenos

Seaman Apprentice
I was reading that a beam wrench would work in a pinch - am I wrong there?

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
I was reading that a beam wrench would work in a pinch - am I wrong there?

A beam is what you want, not a clicker. I use a 0-20inch for preload on diffy pinions. I can get 8-11inchlbs by feel since I've done it so many times.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
I went ahead and bought a Seekonk 1/4 inch rolling torque wrench (0-30 nm) from ebay for $125... mainly because you can never have too many tools. :D Even though it will be rarely used I am sure.

It seems I have read here on iboats that it is possible to install the spacer that eliminates the need to set the rolling torque, and you simply torque the nut down to a specific setting. But I have never done it and do not know much more about the possibility. May be something to look into.

Speakrdude

Ensign
We I die, my family will have no idea what all those "odd looking" tools are for or worth!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
When I die, my family will have no idea what all those "odd looking" tools are for or worth!

Yeah, I been thinkin' 'bout that myself. I should make up a list of the tools I have and the sorts of prices I paid for them. When my kids/wife/grandkid have to sort my stuff out they are going to have no idea what some of it is. I got stuff like cooling system pressure testers, leakdown and compression testers (for both petrol and diesel engines!). I've sure not too many people know what a valve spring compressor looks like. Or a piston ring compressor for that matter. Or how much they are worth.

Nice thoughts, ah?

Cheers all,

Chris......