alpha gen two no reverse or foward gear.

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer
long time guys, need a few info here guys, alpha gen two not going in forward or reverse . with the engine running in nutral the coupler is spinning, i did not look to see if the drive shaft was spinning . i kno it not the prop hub bec the prop shaft is not turning period. now when push the shifter there is no resistant nothing indicating it going in gears nothing the engine just revs. am hoping its a shift cable, is there anymore test i can do before i haul the boat out thanks much.

Bondo

Staff member
long time guys, need a few info here guys, alpha gen two not going in forward or reverse . with the engine running in nutral the coupler is spinning, i did not look to see if the drive shaft was spinning . i kno it not the prop hub bec the prop shaft is not turning period. now when push the shifter there is no resistant nothing indicating it going in gears nothing the engine just revs. am hoping its a shift cable, is there anymore test i can do before i haul the boat out thanks much.

Ayuh,.... At the shift plate, where the forward cable, meets the lower cable, disconnect the lower cable, 'n Try it by hand, pushin', 'n pullin' the cable end,....

If it Don't shift, Pull the boat, then the drive,...

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer
thanks bondo am heading there to try that within the next three hours , thanks

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer
hello again bondo, i just got back from the boat, i did what you mention above i took off the lower cable. with the engine running i pull it i push it back in and it did not shift the drive one bit. i also could not see if the drive yoke was turning in the coupler before so i stick my camera down there and mk a video and sure enough both the coupler and the drive yoke is spinning with the engine running. your thought some got to have an idea lol;);)

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant
Sounds like maybe your upper gearset is gone (stripped), or you may have a broken vertical drive shaft.... any symptoms before this occured (like going dead in the water while in gear?)... Time to pull the drive and do some investigating inside.... First, drain the oil and see if there is any metal particles, sludge, etc. You'll be able to play with the shift shaft and turn the yoke shaft to see if you can get any response at the prop.... Then maybe time to pull the top cap off the drive and check the gears... Let us know what you find....

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer
just a quick update here guys today i ask a real marine mechanic to take a look at , and this is what we got the drive is going in gears but nothing is turning in the drive. boat in nutral we turn prop by hand it spins free, boat in gear it hard to turn. with the engine running in gear we turn the prop by hand and we hear all kind off mash up gears sound coming from the upper. the mechanic will open it up so i will let yall kno the outcome.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Not real bright to be near a prop while the engine is running and in gear. Sounds like you ran low on the oil in the drive and melted the upper gears.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant
Example of a true paradox! - "a real marine mechanic....with the engine running in gear we turn the prop by hand". :eek:

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer
lol my mistake let me try clear this up. with the boat in the water drive trip up engine running he uses a long boat hook to turn the prop with the drive in gear. the prop was hard to turn telling him it is in gear, he then put it back to nutral spin it with the boat hook again this time it spins free . we then haul the boat out put it on stand with engine off turns prop by hand you could hear grinding metal sound coming from the top . we have another upper that need the upper yoke seal its already been rebuild. the upper with the problem is an sei that was perchase from ebay last season still have warranty but cant find the ebay info or paper work smh. anyway i will post the finding to let yall kno what exactly went wrong in that drive cheers.

Bondo

Staff member
lol my mistake let me try clear this up. with the boat in the water drive trip up engine running he uses a long boat hook to turn the prop with the drive in gear. the prop was hard to turn telling him it is in gear, he then put it back to nutral spin it with the boat hook again this time it spins free . we then haul the boat out put it on stand with engine off turns prop by hand you could hear grinding metal sound coming from the top . we have another upper that need the upper yoke seal its already been rebuild. the upper with the problem is an sei that was perchase from ebay last season still have warranty but cant find the ebay info or paper work smh. anyway i will post the finding to let yall kno what exactly went wrong in that drive cheers.

Ayuh,.... puttin' another upper on yer lower, without rebuildin' the lower, will just ruin yet another drive,....

All the ground up upper, is now in the lower unit,....

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer
update the boat is back in the water, the problem was the lower unit is shot. put back on a rebuilt lower so all is well so much about noise coming from the upper . thanks everyone for you inputs, cheers

Last edited:

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer
up date dont want to start another thread , since the lower unit replace i took the boat out for a test run , it seems the boat lost a lot off speed. before at 2500 rpm i could get on plain with a clean bottom. today i test run it and i have to bring it over 3000 rpm to gen on plane the prop is a 16 x16 four blade aluminum. your thought guys.

thumpar

Admiral
What was wrong in the lower? The lowers don't usually fail unless it is a broken vertical shaft. Also the oil in the upper and lower are combined so if it was something grinding in the lower there could be metal in the upper. That will cause problems.

Bondo

Staff member
up date dont want to start another thread , since the lower unit replace i took the boat out for a test run , it seems the boat lost a lot off speed. before at 2500 rpm i could get on plain with a clean bottom. today i test run it and i have to bring it over 3000 rpm to gen on plane the prop is a 16 x16 four blade aluminum. your thought guys.

Ayuh,.... How much sea life on the hull,..??

Changin' the lower, should have No effect on it,.....
Is it the same prop,..??

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer
What was wrong in the lower? The lowers don't usually fail unless it is a broken vertical shaft. Also the oil in the upper and lower are combined so if it was something grinding in the lower there could be metal in the upper. That will cause problems.

good point dont have a clue , all i kno the one he replace it with is almost new no ding ect.

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer
Ayuh,.... How much sea life on the hull,..??

Changin' the lower, should have No effect on it,.....
Is it the same prop,..??

no sea life just power wash nice and clean. with four guys on the boat we use to cruise at 3700 rpm and about 23 knots per gps. i was alone on the boat for the test run and i have to push it all the way over 4000 rpm for it to be moving like it sopose to. with me alone on the boat it use to get a nice rooster tail at 2600 rpm. the prop is a 16x16 four blade. will test again tomorro. this lower unit came with one off those trim foil attatch to it like a bat wings, lol.maybe thats what slowing it down he heh

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer
Originally posted by DaveG55 View Post
Ummmm, not quite. They are all PHYSICALLY interchangable BUT each motor / stern drive unit will have a different gear ratio and if you do not replace the existing drive with a similar ratio drive you may very well alter the performance charicteristics of the boat for the worse and possably even cause severe engine damage..

Yes you can replace the lower with the one from a 3.0L.
The upper is where the Gear ratio changes, not in the lower unit.

found this answer from don s from another thread this help.

Bondo

Staff member
no sea life just power wash nice and clean. with four guys on the boat we use to cruise at 3700 rpm and about 23 knots per gps. i was alone on the boat for the test run and i have to push it all the way over 4000 rpm for it to be moving like it sopose to. with me alone on the boat it use to get a nice rooster tail at 2600 rpm. the prop is a 16x16 four blade. will test again tomorro. this lower unit came with one off those trim foil attatch to it like a bat wings, lol.maybe thats what slowing it down he heh

Ayuh,..... Take it Off,..... My guess is, it's causin' the hull to plow,....