Mercruiser 140 3.0L removal

sti1471

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am going to pull my motor today after work. It is a 1984 Mercruiser 3.0L, connected to an Alpha one. So far I have removed all the wiring, hoses, fuel lines, flywheel dust cover, and flywheel housing bolts. I am pulling the motor to replace the main oil seals, and install a new flywheel. My current flywheel has a large crack in it as it looks like it has been there for some time. So I am told the flywheel was most likely out of balance and ruined the oil seals. Do I need to remove the drive or can I remove it from the flywheel housing and out since I have removed the bolts?

I had the shift cable replaced by a marine shop about 5 months ago and he did an alignment check so I know it is good. so since the front and rear mounts are adjust correctly, can I just remove the engine from the flywheel housing and out.

The front engine mount was unbolted at the floor lag screws, so the front engine mount will remain on the engine as is now. When I am done I can put the engine back in and put the lag screws back in and in theory the engine will be sitting right where it was before I pulled it out.

I do not see an issue with this, however I am not sure how to swing the coupler away from the drive shaft. Is there any problems with doing it this way? I just don't want to have to buy new gaskets and stuff for the drive since the marine shop did such a good job of putting all on a few months ago.

But if removing the drive will save me a bunch of time, then it might be worth it.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
remove the drive. 6 bolts and it comes off. 85# so you may need a buddy.

you have to remove it anyway to realign when you install the motor and it will make your life so much easier to remove it now

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
I am going to pull my motor today after work. It is a 1984 Mercruiser 3.0L, connected to an Alpha one. So far I have removed all the wiring, hoses, fuel lines, flywheel dust cover, and flywheel housing bolts. I am pulling the motor to replace the main oil seals, and install a new flywheel. My current flywheel has a large crack in it as it looks like it has been there for some time. So I am told the flywheel was most likely out of balance and ruined the oil seals. Do I need to remove the drive or can I remove it from the flywheel housing and out since I have removed the bolts?

I had the shift cable replaced by a marine shop about 5 months ago and he did an alignment check so I know it is good. so since the front and rear mounts are adjust correctly, can I just remove the engine from the flywheel housing and out.

The front engine mount was unbolted at the floor lag screws, so the front engine mount will remain on the engine as is now. When I am done I can put the engine back in and put the lag screws back in and in theory the engine will be sitting right where it was before I pulled it out.

I do not see an issue with this, however I am not sure how to swing the coupler away from the drive shaft. Is there any problems with doing it this way? I just don't want to have to buy new gaskets and stuff for the drive since the marine shop did such a good job of putting all on a few months ago.

But if removing the drive will save me a bunch of time, then it might be worth it.

Thoughts?

Ayuh,..... That should stay on the motor, til out,....

Ya pull the 2 big bolts outa the rear mount on the flywheel cover,.....
With the drive off, the motor then lifts Up, 'n out,.....

As noted, ya Gotta pull the drive 1st, 6 nuts, 'n 5 minutes, along with a $6. gasket set to put it back on,...

Trustin' the the mounts don't/ haven't moved, is false hope, 'n kinda foolish,....
Realignin' it is a Must Do,...