Need advice on coupler replacement 4.3L Alpha I Gen II...

gixxerjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My local guy has been has a good reputation and has quoted me $1400. He diagnosed the problem today and says it was probably not aligned properly when the PO had the engine rebuilt in 2006. I owe him $100 for his time today (dip it in the lake, run it, pull the drive). We are a busy family with three young boys but I could devote a weekend to the job if I was confident I could do it and not run into major headaches. I could possibly use a crane at work but would need to be in and out in a weekend, working by myself. Or I could do it outside with a rented cherry picker I suppose and have a little more time. I have worked on a variety of cars in the past but never pulled a motor from an I/O before. Whaddya think, how long would this job take a backyard mechanic like myself? I have an extensive hand tool set and access to air tools etc but no specialty tools for aligning the drive.

Thanks for your help. I would like to make a decision soon as a courtesy to the mechanic.

Bondo

Staff member
My local guy has been has a good reputation and has quoted me $1400. He diagnosed the problem today and says it was probably not aligned properly when the PO had the engine rebuilt in 2006. I owe him $100 for his time today (dip it in the lake, run it, pull the drive). We are a busy family with three young boys but I could devote a weekend to the job if I was confident I could do it and not run into major headaches. I could possibly use a crane at work but would need to be in and out in a weekend, working by myself. Or I could do it outside with a rented cherry picker I suppose and have a little more time. I have worked on a variety of cars in the past but never pulled a motor from an I/O before. Whaddya think, how long would this job take a backyard mechanic like myself? I have an extensive hand tool set and access to air tools etc but no specialty tools for aligning the drive.

Thanks for your help. I would like to make a decision soon as a courtesy to the mechanic.

Ayuh,.... There are a few specialty tools that are Must Have's,....

Pullin' a motor out of an I/O is 'bout 10 times Easier, than 'bout any automobile,...

I've done my own, long ago, in an afternoon, in a Bud's shop, with air, 'n overheat winch,...
'course, I've been turnin' wrenches longer than my memory,...
'n I own Alotta tools,.... ;)

gixxerjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bondo, thanks very much for taking the time to provide your insight.

From your input and my other info, a guy with good mechanical aptitude and experience working on automotive engines, and a good selection of hand tools (complete 1/4-3/8-1/2 drive sockets and ratchets, gear wrenches, std wrenches, nut drivers, screwdrivers, hammers), can do this in a weekend by himself with a proper set of specialty tools purchased for the job and a long-reach cherry-picker. Can you advise the Must Have tools? The alignment tool I am aware of but anything else?

slag

Chief Petty Officer
You need an an engine alignment tool. You can pick one up on ebay online stores.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I have (had?) lots less wrenching skill than it sounds like you have, and I was able to pull my 350 Mag without much trouble. I even was able to get it back in! It probably took me longer than most, but I took my time, labelled every wire and hose I disconnected, and ran into the house to ask questions here as I worked through the process.

I think the alignment tool is really the only special tool I used. Granted, I didn't remove the coupler, I pulled the engine and coupler and left them together.

Bondo

Staff member
Bondo, thanks very much for taking the time to provide your insight.

From your input and my other info, a guy with good mechanical aptitude and experience working on automotive engines, and a good selection of hand tools (complete 1/4-3/8-1/2 drive sockets and ratchets, gear wrenches, std wrenches, nut drivers, screwdrivers, hammers), can do this in a weekend by himself with a proper set of specialty tools purchased for the job and a long-reach cherry-picker. Can you advise the Must Have tools? The alignment tool I am aware of but anything else?

Ayuh,.... It sounds like with Yer tool kit, an alignment bar, 'n grease gun, ya oughta be Good to go,...

You'll need the gasket set for puttin' the drive back on, 'bout $6. bucks last 1 I bought,... 'n a new coupler of course,...
Inspect the drive shaft splines for damage from the coupler too,...

gixxerjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Everything is prepped to pull the motor. I realized a conventional cherry picker would never pull the motor over the stern, up too high on the trailer, so I enlisted the help of a neighbor farmer with a backhoe or front end loader. As for prepping for removal, it couldn't have been simpler. Not much to disconnect and label as you guys said. Hoping tomorrow night the motor comes out. Thanks again for the advice, so far I am saving a lot of cash and learning a little along the way.