tips on bellows install

fromcarsToboats

Seaman Apprentice
i have a alpha gen 1 out drive that i need to reinstall. do i install bellows on gimbal first? anything you can give me would be helpful.

rpatton

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just did mine and I put all the new bellows on the transom plate first ,then install the bell housing.

DaveG55

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just follow the outdrive manual and be very careful about clamp placement.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Done dozens over the years. Uni bellows, bell housing first, then some glue on the gimbal housing flange, push the bell housing hard into place, beyond where the hinge pins would be holding it, and working from the inside the bellows, push them up onto the flange. Once the uni bellows is on, put the exhaust bellows on the gimbal housing, then using the tool, pull them onto the bell housing flange.

Chris........

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Just follow the outdrive manual and be very careful about clamp placement.

Yep - like Christ mentions - that is the best sequence. But as Dave says - the clamp position is pretty critical. You will need the manual to see where to position the clamps.

thumpar

Admiral
If you are doing the water hose also you can put the end in a pot of boiling water (not touching the bottom) and it will slide on like butter. Make sure you have a screw driver with a flex shaft. It makes it easy to get to the clamps.

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class
My tip- do it all while you have it apart. 3 bellows, water hose, intermediate shift cable, gimbal bearing, gear oil and waterpump. Nothing worse than re-sealing the transom, and having your shift cable go on your next outing. Get a copy of Mercs #6 manual, follow the procedures, and either buy, borrow, steal, or fabricate the specialty tools that are suggested.

ziggy

Admiral
imho, this
If you are doing the water hose also you can put the end in a pot of boiling water (not touching the bottom) and it will slide on like butter.
is very improtant. that hose is a plane bummer to put on proper w/o some kinda treatment..

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
On the water hose, I have found it easier to remove the upper tube completely - remove the two bolts from inside and then remove the rubber bushing. The tube will come out and the hose can be put on with the bend in the correct orientation. In my opinion it is much easier that way. You don't have to wrestle with the hose and clamp in a tight spot.