HELP 1987 Four Winns 215 Sundowner-Engine Knock at High RPM/Load With Video!

Keithmanlite

Cadet
I thought 5w/30 oil is thinner "5" when cold and 30 when warmer, this allows vehicles to start easier in colder weather.
The boat has straight 30 in it and was over filled by about 1.5 quarts. Taking it out Saturday to see if makes a difference.
Have not been able to get a mechanic in the boat because of all the winterizing going on right now.

but based on you situation you ended up rebuilding engine right, what are your thoughts on used motors?

Keithmanlite

Cadet
I thought 5w/30 oil is thinner "5" when cold and 30 when warmer, this allows vehicles to start easier in colder weather.
The boat has straight 30 in it and was over filled by about 1.5 quarts. Taking it out Saturday to see if makes a difference.
Have not been able to get a mechanic in the boat because of all the winterizing going on right now.

but based on you situation you ended up rebuilding engine right, what are your thoughts on used motors?

thumpar

Admiral
Being over filled could have caused the crank to throw the oil around and aerating it. That could cause the oil pressure problem.

Keithmanlite

Cadet
how much was the long block, thinking of moving up from 305 to 350, told everything will bolt right up

Keithmanlite

Cadet
setting oil level didn't help, went out the other day problem is happening all the time now.
I am assuming it is due to oil pump failing. Cant really complain, put 240 ish gallons of gas through the boat this year.
Thanks everyone for your help, wish outcome was different, I knew it could happen.
Wished it wouldn't but is what it is