can i bolt a ford 351w where a chevy 350 was?

jimmy1977

Recruit
I have a 1981 Century Cortez. 26 foot. I bought the boat with no engine. The boat originally had a chevy 350. I have a complete setup from prop to pulleys that is a Ford 351W. It looks like analpha 1 drive. The boat has a gimbal plate and gimbal housing that are in good shape and my question is can i drop the ford in after changing the Y pipe of course. Will the ford bolt right up to the gimbal plate that supported the chevy or do i have to use the one that came with the setup that i have. Please help i cant seem to find any info and i have a few other questions once i get rolling on this topic

haulnazz15

Captain
Reply, sure you can put the 351w in there. I would think you will need to change the inner transom plate and y-pipe though. The rear motor mount spacing is probably different between the 351w and 350. The cannon plug will likely have the same wiring, but your starter/starter solenoid may need to be wired differently for the Ford. Any MC-1/Alpha I-Gen I outdrive will work just fine, although I'd recommend the 1.50 ratio as the best fit. Yours may be the 233 drive (1.32 ratio) which is still a solid drive, it just requires different prop pitches than what you might already have.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Since you have the complete "prop to pulley" set up for the Ford it will be easy to see what you need to use as you go along. Measure and see if there is any difference on the inner plate.

jimmy1977

Recruit
Thank you so much for your detailed answers. I am going to have to change transom plate as there is an inch and a half difference between the two. Should i change gimball housing also?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
If the outside transom assembly is good, there is no need. I would suggest changing out the various bellows and shift cable - along with checking the gimbal bearing.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Another thing to check when you remove the inner transom plate is the overall condition of the transom itself. Not unusual in a boat of that age to have a rotted out transom. If any work needs to be done... now would be the time to do it.

haulnazz15

Captain
All of the outer stuff will be fine. As suggested above, check the transom for rot, and replace all bellows. You should put new water shutters in the exhaust y-pipe (they are down at the "y") while you have it out.