SeaRay 200, Merc 5.0 MPI, Bravo III - lost neutral and reverse on last outing

ChrisW23

Cadet
Looking for some input from the more experienced members out there... On my last outing, I lost nuetral and reverse; with shifter in neutral position I would troll forward. Shift to reverse and would drive forward. The only way I could stop was to kill the ignition. Also had trouble restarting. Guessing that may be related to losing neutral???

Motor and outdrive were both recently pulled to repair an oil leak. The timing chain cover and oil pan were replaced, water pump impeller service was done, and a few other "normal service" type things were done while the access was easy.

My question - I've had the boat out a 4-5 times since the motor and outdrive were pulled and reset with no issues - I am curious if the shifting issue experienced this weekend is possibly related to pulling the motor and outdrive? Possible something was not set/adjusted properly when all was reset?

I am waiting on a call back from the mechanic, but am curious what the forum thinks while I wait???

Thanks to all.

alldodge

Staff member
Looking for some input from the more experienced members out there... On my last outing, I lost nuetral and reverse; with shifter in neutral position I would troll forward. Shift to reverse and would drive forward. The only way I could stop was to kill the ignition. Also had trouble restarting. Guessing that may be related to losing neutral???

Motor and outdrive were both recently pulled to repair an oil leak. The timing chain cover and oil pan were replaced, water pump impeller service was done, and a few other "normal service" type things were done while the access was easy.

My question - I've had the boat out a 4-5 times since the motor and outdrive were pulled and reset with no issues - I am curious if the shifting issue experienced this weekend is possibly related to pulling the motor and outdrive? Possible something was not set/adjusted properly when all was reset?

I am waiting on a call back from the mechanic, but am curious what the forum thinks while I wait???

Thanks to all.

My first thought is something was not tightened properly. Go back to the shift plate and see if you can move the shaft cables up/down and side to side by hand. Everything should be tight. If everything is tight, watch the shift linkage and see if it moves in both directions when the throttle is moved.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
On my last outing, I lost nuetral and reverse
Howdy,

Sounds like the cable either came out of the shift linkage cable-"latch" assy or something broke........
Your lower shift cable is held or locked in place by 2 parts in particular, #14 & #18 below. If the cable end either comes off, the cable breaks, or the 2 locking "latch" parts bend/break, etc..... then the drive may stay where ever it was before the parts failed.

It will be fairly obvious when the drive is pulled, by doing a little check with the lower shift cable disconnected from the shift mechanism on top of the engine.

It also may be something broken/loose in one of the parts under the rear "cover" #1 below.

Shift-linkage_assy_zps46051b2f.jpg

Regards,

Rick

Last edited: