prop spins at idle but won't go any faster with more rpms

I have an alpha one outdrive and yesterday on the river it was running fine then it seemed that the prop was slipping at anything other than idle speed. When I put it in gear and try to go the motor sounds fine and the rpms go up but I stayed at the same idle speed like something in the drive was slipping

alldodge

Staff member
I have an alpha one outdrive and yesterday on the river it was running fine then it seemed that the prop was slipping at anything other than idle speed. When I put it in gear and try to go the motor sounds fine and the rpms go up but I stayed at the same idle speed like something in the drive was slipping

Appears you either spun the prop hub; the engine coupler or the drive gears just stripped out. Most time when the engine coupler is spun you smell some burnt rubber. When was the last time the engine alignment was checked? Did you hit anything prior to this happening? When was the last time the drive lube was changed? If you can see the drive shaft out the back of the engine, watch it and see if it increase with rpm as the throttle is increased. Pull the prop off and look at the hub and see if it is damaged. Pull the drive off and look at the drive shaft and coupler splines. Put the drive in gear without the engine running and see of you can move the prop and what do you hear?

Last edited: