How to replace Mercruiser Gear Lube Monitor Elbow Quick Connect Fitting 22-861163

agallant80

Commander
I had an earlier thread about gear lube in the bilge. After tracking the leak back its coming from the quick connect at the transom. It looks like a b---- to replace due to the location. Has anyone done one of these before? Does the outdrive need to come off?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
do you mean the fitting that allows gear oil to pass into the outdrive?
For that fitting, just reach behind the motor and simply remove it from the hose . If you mean this one that the hose connects to
DSCN2561-Copy_zps985bd92d.jpg
you need to remove the enginbe.

Fun Times

Staff member
Item # 5 broke correct? Item 5 is the connector that snaps onto item number 1 (AKA connects to the orange O-Ring in BT's photo above.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...0&bnbr=240&bdesc=Gear+Lube+Monitor+Components

Depends on how much room you have to access the rear of the engine starboard side just under the water intake hose fitting if you need to remove the engine or not. I've been able to reach it working past the starter. Not going to lie, it's not easy.

Google the part number "image" to see how it looks and you'll see the clip you'll need to push on in order to release it from the fitting coming through the transom assembly (orange O-ring).

The fitting coming through should be okay since you see oil on the inside of the boat.

Chances are there is a piece left in the hose that you'll need to get out so you can put the new fitting in the hose then clip the new fitting onto the fitting with the O-ring.

Good luck.:)

agallant80

Commander
Item # 5 broke correct? Item 5 is the connector that snaps onto item number 1 (AKA connects to the orange O-Ring in BT's photo above.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...0&bnbr=240&bdesc=Gear+Lube+Monitor+Components

Depends on how much room you have to access the rear of the engine starboard side just under the water intake hose fitting if you need to remove the engine or not. I've been able to reach it working past the starter. Not going to lie, it's not easy.

Google the part number "image" to see how it looks and you'll see the clip you'll need to push on in order to release it from the fitting coming through the transom assembly (orange O-ring).

The fitting coming through should be okay since you see oil on the inside of the boat.

Chances are there is a piece left in the hose that you'll need to get out so you can put the new fitting in the hose then clip the new fitting onto the fitting with the O-ring.

Good luck.:)

Yes its number 5. It looks like I will have to at least take off the raw water hose to get to it. I may go down this weekend and play with it. I don't know how this could happen on a 1.5 year old boat that just broke 100 hours.