Tahoe 2004 Q4 won't start

BrandonSipes

Cadet
Thank you to everyone for the replies. I believe this weekend is free as long as the weather agrees. I will attempt to pull the exhaust manifold and continue. I'll definitely report back.

BrandonSipes

Cadet
I removed the riser and exhaust manifold above the starter. Surprisingly easy. There is a valve attached to the lower side of the exhaust manifold. I removed the two coolant lines and one was holding pressure. The line under pressure was the line that was leaking onto the starter. Can anyone help identify this valve and how to determine if it is working correctly or not?

alldodge

Staff member
I removed the riser and exhaust manifold above the starter. Surprisingly easy. There is a valve attached to the lower side of the exhaust manifold. I removed the two coolant lines and one was holding pressure. The line under pressure was the line that was leaking onto the starter. Can anyone help identify this valve and how to determine if it is working correctly or not?

You mentioned that there were two coolant lines (not three) so your cooling systems is setup with seven drains. The link below shows a view. Don't see any valve only a blue drain plug on the bottom. If it is the blue wing plug then it will probably just need a new O-ring. If it's something else, post a pic

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...sc=Standard+Cooling+System(Seven+Point+Drain)

BrandonSipes

Cadet
Under the section "Exhaust Manifold and Elbow" it includes items 8-11. I disassembled the part and the ball was moving freely. I guess this part is ok but was just concerned that there was pressure there. In this case, it was pressure causing the ball to seat.

BrandonSipes

Cadet
I changed the starter this weekend. Remounting the exhaust manifold was the most challenging part. Anyway all was successful. Boat starts like a champ. Thank you to all who replied. Great forum.

DaveG55

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The manifolds are difficult because they are awkward and heavy. They trick I was told, by bondo I think, is to start a center bolt, then the ends, then remove the center bolt, drop the pre notched gasket on (you can notch it at the end bolts if it doesnt come pre notched) then put the rest of the bolts in and tighten everything down. That process made even the larger v8 manifolds manageable by one person.

Congrats on getting up and running again!