Tahoe 2004 Q4 won't start

BrandonSipes

Cadet
I was hoping for some help. My starter will not activate to turn my engine. The slave starter solenoid is working consistently and voltage is passing. It's just that the starter is tucked in down low and I have basically no access without pulling the engine. I verified the kill switch and neutral start switch. I was unable so far to find any blown fuses. Also all the dash gauges work. Please any help would be appreciated.

Fun Times

Staff member
Hi there,welcome to iboats!:)

By chance have you tried "tapping" on the side of the starter while someone holds the key to crank to see if maybe you can free the starter up to spin? Sometimes it works and sometimes it don't. A long thin bar of some kind may help you get down there better.

Has the starter ever been soaked in water due to maybe water in the bilge area?

Good luck.:)

BrandonSipes

Cadet
I did try the tapping trick several times with no success. This starter is mounted low so some splashing could be possible. I'm sure it has never been under water.

alldodge

Staff member
I was hoping for some help. My starter will not activate to turn my engine. The slave starter solenoid is working consistently and voltage is passing. It's just that the starter is tucked in down low and I have basically no access without pulling the engine. I verified the kill switch and neutral start switch. I was unable so far to find any blown fuses. Also all the dash gauges work. Please any help would be appreciated.

If your using a volt meter then the voltage is there, but are you getting any voltage drop when you go to start? There should be some voltage drop. You can also try jumping across the two large post on the slave solenoid to see if the starter works.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
the slave has 2 large lugs, try shorting them to see if the motor spins

BrandonSipes

Cadet
I measured 12 volts across the large terminals initially. As the key was in the start position, the voltage dropped nearly to zero. That told me the slave solenoid was conducting. I did not try to short the terminals but I can if you think it's good troubleshooting. By the way, thanks to all for the responses so far.

alldodge

Staff member
I measured 12 volts across the large terminals initially. As the key was in the start position, the voltage dropped nearly to zero. That told me the slave solenoid was conducting. I did not try to short the terminals but I can if you think it's good troubleshooting. By the way, thanks to all for the responses so far.

Bt Doc and I have both mentioned to do that, so I recon we think that would be a good idea ;)

BrandonSipes

Cadet
Gotcha. The boat is not here now though. I will short the terminals and report back tomorrow. Again, thanks.

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
Check this old thread out........ apparently there is a hidden fuse on your model boat, maybe this will help.

BrandonSipes

Cadet
Shorting the large terminals on the slave starter solenoid did not make the engine turn. The key was in the run position. Also, I did read the thread on the hidden fuse and was very optimistic but I couldn't locate any fuses like the one the thread described. I actually read that thread before I started this one. It had a happy ending like I hope this one has.

alldodge

Staff member
Shorting the large terminals on the slave starter solenoid did not make the engine turn. The key was in the run position. Also, I did read the thread on the hidden fuse and was very optimistic but I couldn't locate any fuses like the one the thread described. I actually read that thread before I started this one. It had a happy ending like I hope this one has.

Looks like your starter is the issue. Bummer now the engine got to come out

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
Before I resolved myself to the fact the starter is bad........ I would get get a small framed friend, teenager, wife, girlfriend to wiggle down there and check power AT the starter........ gonna suck if you pull the motor and find something simple other than a bad starter...............Just sayin

Bondo

Staff member
Before I resolved myself to the fact the starter is bad........ I would get get a small framed friend, teenager, wife, girlfriend to wiggle down there and check power AT the starter........ gonna suck if you pull the motor and find something simple other than a bad starter...............Just sayin

Ayuh,.... Agreed,.... Will pullin' the exhaust manifold off, allow any access,..?

BrandonSipes

Cadet
I think pulling the exhaust manifold would improve access quite a bit. I'm wondering if that route would just be opening a can of worms. I've never pulled a marine exhaust manifold before and just feel intimidated. I'm just trying to delay paying a boat mechanic to tackle the job. It's pouring down rain now so no more troubleshooting tonight.

DaveG55

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Removing the manifolds themselves is not hard, just a few bolts, a clamp or two and maybe a couple things attached to them. The difficult part will be gaining the access to them.
You haven't said what engine you have but I did look online and saw a v6 in a q4 and it looks very tight. Its also hard to tell how much of that engine surround can be removed to iimprove your access.
I swapped manifolds on my v8 this spring and it only took about 45 minutes per side but I have great access.
Good luck

BrandonSipes

Cadet
It's a 4.3l fuel injected v6. Just new to the boat scene. Old Jeeps are my hobbies but I really need to beat this one to boost confidence. I probably just need to dive in.

Bondo

Staff member
It's a 4.3l fuel injected v6. Just new to the boat scene. Old Jeeps are my hobbies but I really need to beat this one to boost confidence. I probably just need to dive in.

Ayuh,.... Study the hull lay-out, most times there's Stuff that can be removed to get to where ya wanta be,....
Seats, panels, 'n other Stuff bolted or screwed down, can be pulled for better access,....
'n pullin' an exhaust manifold is pretty basic stuff that can be done with a $100. craftsman tool kit,.....
The only "Special Tool" that'll make the job Much easier is a hose pick to free the rubber from the metals,....

DaveG55

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you've worked on Jeeps you can handle an exhaust manifold, so yes, dive in. As I said, getting access will be the worst part.

xadiohead

Seaman Apprentice
I have a hard time believing that the engine must be pulled to change a starter. If that is true, then that is a terrible design. I have a 1999 Tahoe q4 and can replace the starter in about an hour (and I'm a sub-par mechanic). It is difficult to reach, but its just a couple bolts and wires.

alldodge

Staff member
From my searching the net, every mention of removing the starter from the Q4 has been by removing the exhaust manifold.