Totally @#$% Confused, Help!

nigels

Seaman
I have a 1999 4.3L with ALPHA 1 GEN 2 everything points to LH engine rotation. So I engaged reverse as instructed by the manual and pulled the stern drive off, it resisted a bit and there was a twang when it came off but came off anyway, engine out engine in, realigned with tool, hunkered down, alignment still good. Try to put the stern drive back and it wont go the last inch because with the control in reverse, the gear change cam is at an acute angle, (not parallel to the drive shaft as I would have expected) so the lower shift lever will not go into it.To get the cam straight I would have to put the control into forward gear.

I just don't get it..what am I missing here? Have I broken something when I pulled the leg?

My prop by the way looking from the rear turns clock wise to go forward, if this helps?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Stick your control in forward. On the stern drive rotate the shift shoe so it is facing straight forward - your prop should be engaged in gear if you turn it counterclockwise (reverse).

Rick

alldodge

Staff member
+1 ^ use a bungee cord to hold the prop in the CCW rotation when sliding on

thumpar

Admiral
Unless you have twins it is very unlikely you have any counter rotating parts.

nigels

Seaman
That works, its on. But why is it all A....about face? Is it because the prop has been swapped out for opposite rotation and the control has been switched somehow?
Can't get my head arround this one!

nigels

Seaman
Nothing has been swapped. What you describe is normal.
So why do all the manuals state that on a LH rotation engine the controls should be in reverse. In reverse the cam is pointing weel to port?

thumpar

Admiral
You should be using Mercruiser manual #14 for the drive. LH is normal rotation. The engine rotation doesn't matter when it comes to the drive removal anyway. The position of the shifter has to do with the drive rotation.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
+ 1 thumpar, what you have is a counterclockwise (left hand) rotating engine when looking at the flywheel from behind. This is the industry standard. The procedure you were using is for a counterclockwise rotating outdrive. If you have a single engine you have a outdrive they rotates the prop clockwise when under power. So to help understand how it works, with the engine off put the control in forward and rotate the prop counterclockwise. It should lock. This is because when you are under power the propshaft rotates clockwise and the water provides the counterclockwise force ( resistance) that keeps the gears locked in.

nigels

Seaman
Thanks guys, I have # 14 manual, not sure why I started using the other, I downloaded loads of stuff over the years and the file is so full, what a d... head! Hope I didn't do damage. I will be testing this afternoon. Thanks again.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
you will know if you damaged anything once its installed and the shift operation is checked