Appears Locked after seawater pump change- Mercruiser 5.7 Bravo 3 1999

jimphillips

Cadet
I have a 2000 Sea Ray 260 Sundancer with a 5.7L EFI 350 CID Mercruiser (GM) Bravo 3, LH rotation. Raw water cooled, Serial number is 0L653896.

My Mercrusier started overhearing at idle last weekend, and I assumed the seawater pump impeller was the culprit. I removed the seawater pump and replaced the impeller inside, reassembled and mounted back on the engine. After all connections were made, I removed one of the plastic drain plugs to ensure I had a water flow. Then, i started the engine and it ran fine. I removed one of the plugs again while running at idle, and had lots of water pressure at the plug. I then turned the engine off to replace the drain plug. After a few minutes of putting tools away, I attempted to start the engine again. This time, I got a "clunk" from the starter and the engine did not turn. The second time I hit the key, all I heard was the high-speed spin. Having had a starter issue before, I assumed a bad starter solenoid as a coincidence. This morning I removed the starter to have rebuilt, and was surprised to find all the teeth broken off the bendix inside the starter. I felt the flywheel with my fingers, and it seems to be unharmed.

It appears that something is causing the engine to lock up, so much that the starter could not turn it, and sheared off at the teeth. Any ideas? I would assume that i did something incorrect with the water pump reassembly, but it ran fine for 5 minutes prior to this. I'll still need the starter rebuilt, but there seems to be something else that needs to be done.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

THanks!

alldodge

Staff member
I have a 2000 Sea Ray 260 Sundancer with a 5.7L EFI 350 CID Mercruiser (GM) Bravo 3, LH rotation. Raw water cooled, Serial number is 0L653896.

My Mercrusier started overhearing at idle last weekend, and I assumed the seawater pump impeller was the culprit. I removed the seawater pump and replaced the impeller inside, reassembled and mounted back on the engine. After all connections were made, I removed one of the plastic drain plugs to ensure I had a water flow. Then, i started the engine and it ran fine. I removed one of the plugs again while running at idle, and had lots of water pressure at the plug. I then turned the engine off to replace the drain plug. After a few minutes of putting tools away, I attempted to start the engine again. This time, I got a "clunk" from the starter and the engine did not turn. The second time I hit the key, all I heard was the high-speed spin. Having had a starter issue before, I assumed a bad starter solenoid as a coincidence. This morning I removed the starter to have rebuilt, and was surprised to find all the teeth broken off the bendix inside the starter. I felt the flywheel with my fingers, and it seems to be unharmed.

It appears that something is causing the engine to lock up, so much that the starter could not turn it, and sheared off at the teeth. Any ideas? I would assume that i did something incorrect with the water pump reassembly, but it ran fine for 5 minutes prior to this. I'll still need the starter rebuilt, but there seems to be something else that needs to be done.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

THanks!

Pull the plugs and see if any are wet. If they are wet, pull the connectors off the coil and crank it over with water turned on using a socket on the damper. See if water comes out of plugs then need to find out why

Last edited:

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant
Sounds like it hydrolocked. Not sure why you would have needed to pull drain plugs after an impeller replacement to check flow. Merely running on muffs would give you the indications needed (flow out of the idle relief ports and a good temperature on the gauge.
Did you follow the guidance of mercruiser service bulletin 99-09 for running your engine on muffs? Improper running on muffs can result in hydrolocking.

jimphillips

Cadet
Thanks for the replies. I should add that this was all done with the boat in the water as I do not have a trailer.

thumpar

Admiral
You should still pull the plugs and get the motor spinning to make sure it didn't ingest any into the cylinders. The sooner the better.