mercruiser 3.0 Delco distributor tune-up

sti1471

Petty Officer 1st Class
I went to the marine shop yesterday and bought a new Sierra tuneup kit for my engine. It came with new points, condenser, and rotor. However in the kit there was also a little "pill capsule " with some black looking grease in there. I have not been able to find any reference to what that is used for. Any suggestions?

alldodge

Staff member
I went to the marine shop yesterday and bought a new Sierra tuneup kit for my engine. It came with new points, condenser, and rotor. However in the kit there was also a little "pill capsule " with some black looking grease in there. I have not been able to find any reference to what that is used for. Any suggestions?

It is grease and it goes or the lobes of the distributer. It lubes the lobes to reduce wear on the points. Some points have a felt piece which helps keep the lube on and many use oil. If you don't have the felt piece, just wipe the grease on the distributer shaft lobes

sti1471

Petty Officer 1st Class
it did come with a little 1x1" black square that says "3m tarni-sheild" I am not sure what it is for, but online search says it is a silver polisher. Any ideas on this?

alldodge

Staff member
it did come with a little 1x1" black square that says "3m tarni-sheild" I am not sure what it is for, but online search says it is a silver polisher. Any ideas on this?

Got any pics?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

It's an oxygen remover and it's to stop/reduce the oxidation of the points surfaces. It's not actually a silver polisher, just a silver anti-oxidiser. Silver, like a lot of metals, will develop a layer of oxide on its surface in the presence of oxygen, and those oxides are usually non-conductive, hence, no spark from new points...

HTH,

Chris.......

sti1471

Petty Officer 1st Class
So is that just for the packaging or should I put that little square inside the rotor cap somewhere?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Just for packaging.... Don't put it in the dissy....