Growling noise still

Ken33

Cadet
Hello....need some help...replaced new parts in 888 i/0...new gimble bearing,u joints,did alignment ,new lube,greesed everything up....but still has a little noise at idle,then when you take off it sound like a growling sound...the sound sounds like its in the back of the engine area,hard to tell from where....the noise does not get worse when turning steering wheel hard left or right...doesn't sound like a gimble bearing...I was thinking it might be the water shutters ..if it is it has to be down in the y at bottom of boat in back...I'm kinda lost what to do next...I don't want to have engine pulled for sure...any suggestion will be greatful...thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Hello....need some help...replaced new parts in 888 i/0...new gimble bearing,u joints,did alignment ,new lube,greesed everything up....but still has a little noise at idle,then when you take off it sound like a growling sound...the sound sounds like its in the back of the engine area,hard to tell from where....the noise does not get worse when turning steering wheel hard left or right...doesn't sound like a gimble bearing...I was thinking it might be the water shutters ..if it is it has to be down in the y at bottom of boat in back...I'm kinda lost what to do next...I don't want to have engine pulled for sure...any suggestion will be greatful...thanks

:welcome: to iboats

Could use a bit more info as to what led up to you replacing the gimbal and u-joints. If you were hearing noise so you pulled the drive and replaced the stuff. Did you drain and refill the drive with new lube? What did the old lube look like? With the drive off what did the drive feel like when you turned the drive shaft and prop shaft?

Ken33

Cadet
I was taking on some water ,found out the u joint bellow had a hole in it.so since nothing has every been changed..I went ahead and wanted to replace everything in there while it was apart,also new impeller,drained lube refilled.,everything looked good but just replaced anyway.....it was making a little noise before so I thought maybe it was the gimble bearing.but now it seems worse with all the new parts in it...bearings look find cleaned and regreased.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
What bearings looked fine and got regreased? Only ask since if you mean the u-joints, then those are highly likely to be injured by running in water, replacing them is best. They'll certainly make noise with the smallest of flaws in the cups.

Rick

Ken33

Cadet
The bearings where the u joints go in...put brand new u joint and gimbal bearing in...greased the new gimbal bearing and u joints to...

Ken33

Cadet
The sound ...sounds like it's behind the engine at the bottom,in the area of the water shutters if they are in the bottom of the y pipe...do they make a growling sound on take off....you can barley here them clacking a little bit at idle...does the engine have to be removed? It sure looks like it. No good

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Ken

Great on the replacement ujoints and gimbal, that's the safest remedy. Did you check alignment before reinstalling the stern drive?

Ken33

Cadet
Yes did the alignment. .boat still makes the rattle sound at idle then on take off it has the growLing sound then when up on plane it sounds ok ..don't know what to do next

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
One thing that might cause a rattling type ,metallic clanking is the metal flywheel dust cover. One that has a crack in it will make all kinds of noise

Ken33

Cadet
Also something makes a roaring sound taking off and slowing down...sounds ok when planed out..and when idling u here a clacking noise behind the engine,can't tell where it's coming from....help