1987 SeaSwirl Tempo Mercruiser 3.0 No SPARK and had water in oil

cburkhardt

Cadet
I also am getting no spark off the coil.

I have a 1987 SeaSwirl with a Mercruiser 3.0. I also am getting no spark off the coil. Did you do the complete tune up on the distributer to get it to run?

cburkhardt

Cadet
So I have a 1987 SeaSwirl. Its my fist boat and I have made just about every mistake possible since buying it. It was winterized 2 years ago and running. It sat this last spring with rain water in it because I forgot to pull the drain plug and the cover ripped. Needless to say I got the water drained. I drained the oil pan which had water in it. I filled with clean oil and replaced the filter. The dipstick showed milky oil. I drained again and filled with clean oil. It's still milky. Any suggestions for getting water out? Also I have tried see if I can get it running even for a minute or two. I charged the battery. The engine cranks but won't start. I have troubleshot and even changed the coil. Still no spark. What else should I be trying? Thank you for helping out this newbie owner. I have attached pictures of my.engine.

Attachments

• 308acmx.jpg
    308acmx.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 308acmx.jpg
    308acmx.jpg
  • 308acmx.jpg
    308acmx.jpg
  • 308acmx.jpg
    308acmx.jpg
  • 30mrhu0.jpg
    30mrhu0.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 0
  • uwhs8.jpg
    uwhs8.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 0
  • r9qyhe.jpg
    r9qyhe.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
So I have a 1987 SeaSwirl. Its my fist boat and I have made just about every mistake possible since buying it. It was winterized 2 years ago and running. It sat this last spring with rain water in it because I forgot to pull the drain plug and the cover ripped. Needless to say I got the water drained. I drained the oil pan which had water in it. I filled with clean oil and replaced the filter. The dipstick showed milky oil. I drained again and filled with clean oil. It's still milky. Any suggestions for getting water out? Also I have tried see if I can get it running even for a minute or two. I charged the battery. The engine cranks but won't start. I have troubleshot and even changed the coil. Still no spark. What else should I be trying? Thank you for helping out this newbie owner. I have attached pictures of my.engine.

Only way to have water showing up in the pan is there is a crack in the block or head, that is unless the motor was submerged. From your posting I would guess the winterizing two years ago missed something. Your going to need to start taking the motor apart to find out what cracked. My guess since the water shows up milky with only the cranking of the engine it's probably the block. If I misunderstood please clarify

If you go up to the Adults only section you will find the info needed to troubleshoot your ignition system. If after reading through it come back and ask your questions.

cburkhardt

Cadet
I didn't miss anything in winterizing. It sat in water "submerged". Not completely but over the starter, dipstick, etc.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Please start a new topic with your question. This one is two years old.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Forget 'bout the oil right now, find the Spark, 'n make sure it's gettin' fuel,...
So long as the base is fulla clean oil, that's what the oil pump will pump,......
The sludge will come out with run time, 'n motor heat,...

Is there Power at the coil's (+) terminal, with the key "On",..??

Last edited:

cburkhardt

Cadet
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Forget 'bout the oil right now, find the Spark, 'n make sure it's gettin' fuel,... So long as the base is fulla clean oil, that's what the oil pump will pump,...... The sludge will come out with run time, 'n motor heat,... Is there Power at the coil's (+) terminal, with the key "On",..??
Yes there is 12v at the (+) with the key on.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
It is most likely that you just need new points. Try this: pull the center wire from the distributor and lay it so that is close to bare engine metal (1/8 - 1/4 inch). Remove the cap and rotor and stick a thin piece of insulating material between the points ( any piece of plastic will do). Turn on the ignition and make sure you have voltage on the coil + terminal 8 to 12 volts or so. Take a short piece of insulated wire and briefly jumper across the points. You should get a spark from the coil wire every time you REMOVE the wire. If you do, then your points are bad.

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Forget 'bout the oil right now, find the Spark, 'n make sure it's gettin' fuel,...
So long as the base is fulla clean oil, that's what the oil pump will pump,......
The sludge will come out with run time, 'n motor heat,...

Is there Power at the coil's (+) terminal, with the key "On",..??

Turn key on ,pull distriber cap screw driver across points observe if sparks , mine if sets oxidizes ,file points , use gear oil jug with gas and fill float bowl ,look if disturber cap has every thing scraped clean or replace ,doesn't help hire a professional or ask more ?

It is most likely that you just need new points. Try this: pull the center wire from the distributor and lay it so that is close to bare engine metal (1/8 - 1/4 inch). Remove the cap and rotor and stick a thin piece of insulating material between the points ( any piece of plastic will do). Turn on the ignition and make sure you have voltage on the coil + terminal 8 to 12 volts or so. Take a short piece of insulated wire and briefly jumper across the points. You should get a spark from the coil wire every time you REMOVE the wire. If you do, then your points are bad.

I hope you have that copied somewhere and paste it when needed! lol :D :facepalm:

Been coming in handy way too many times this year! Good troubleshooting advice!! :eagerness:

cburkhardt

Cadet
Turn key on ,pull distriber cap screw driver across points observe if sparks , mine if sets oxidizes ,file points , use gear oil jug with gas and fill float bowl ,look if disturber cap has every thing scraped clean or replace ,doesn't help hire a professional or ask more ?
Cap is clean. Like brand new. I did have spark from using screwdriver across points.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Then your points are bad. Get some new points and get yourself a dwell meter and timing light. Set the proper dwell ( point gap) and timing and that should take care of it.

cburkhardt

Cadet
Replaced the point and got her running. I have tranny fluid in it now as suggested by the marine mechanic I spoke with. I plan on draining that and putting some Rotella T 15w40 in it for now. I am holding off with the expensive mercury 25w40 until I know the water is gone.

cburkhardt

Cadet
Okay I got the boat started but I cant get it to idle. If I keep the throttle up she'll run but as soon as i run it down she dies. I also get a backfire every now and then. What next?