MC1- 165 hard return steer under power

reddog12

Cadet
The steering cable is a new tele flex no feed back, the prop is 15" 17 pitch, no power steering. The out drive has a little sideways slop.This is not a new problem.
It's been this way since I've owned it (3 years). The boat is a 17' tri-hull. Would a different prop help?
Thanks

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Sideways slop? In the outdrive? Sounds like the gimbal ring clamping screws need to be retorqued.

reddog12

Cadet
Where are the gimbal ring clamping screws? I did read they should be torqued to 55 lb.

Bondo

Staff member
The steering cable is a new tele flex no feed back, the prop is 15" 17 pitch, no power steering. The out drive has a little sideways slop.This is not a new problem.
It's been this way since I've owned it (3 years). The boat is a 17' tri-hull. Would a different prop help?
Thanks

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Ya might as well Try another prop,....

The postin' issue is at iboats, not yer 'puter,...
Use yer Refresh button alot, til they get this sorted out,...

reddog12

Cadet
Thanks Bondo.
I tow tubes and wake boarders. At present I tow between 2900 and 3200 rpm. I'm not interested in top speed but tow power.
What prop would you suggest?

reddog12

Cadet
I just checked the play in my steering and it measures 1 1/4" an the aft most point on the out drive and the play is in the steering wheel assembly( steering gear).

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
The gimbal ring clamping screws are the two bolts at the top of the gimbal ring. If they loosen you can get slop like you described, and will eventually wear out the ring. Turn the outdrive side to side to get to the nuts on the back. They hold the gimbal ring clamped to the upper swivel pin. Tighten them in about 5-10 ft lb increments, one side then the other til you get to 55. See if that helps.

Bondo

Staff member
Thanks Bondo.
I tow tubes and wake boarders. At present I tow between 2900 and 3200 rpm. I'm not interested in top speed but tow power.
What prop would you suggest?

Ayuh,.... Any prop, in Good shape, will work just fine for Testin' purposes,....