RPM on idle?

betayv

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I start the engine yesterday and the rpm on idle looks a little higher the tachometer was reading 2200, and I can feel the engine accelerated, I disconnect the accelerator cable going in to the carburetor, what should be the idle RPM on this engine 1200-1500, how can fix that. engine is a 1987 5.7.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
I start the engine yesterday and the rpm on idle looks a little higher the tachometer was reading 2200, and I can feel the engine accelerated, I disconnect the accelerator cable going in to the carburetor, what should be the idle RPM on this engine 1200-1500, how can fix that.

With the cable disconnected from the carb there is a idle screw on one side of the carb. You didn't say if it is a 2 or 4 brl carb so in the below link I'm using a 2brl. See item 26, it has a spring around the screw. Does it sound fast (1500rpm would be high) or maybe the tach is off? RPM should be around 700

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...2D+2+BARREL%29

Did this just start all of a sudden or came up slow?

Bondo

Staff member
I start the engine yesterday and the rpm on idle looks a little higher the tachometer was reading 2200, and I can feel the engine accelerated, I disconnect the accelerator cable going in to the carburetor, what should be the idle RPM on this engine 1200-1500, how can fix that. engine is a 1987 5.7.

Ayuh,..... Idle should be 650/ 700 rpms in gear, in the water,.....

Yer carb should have an idle adjustment screw close by where ya took it apart,....