HELP with my Trim & Tilt motor on Alpha 1

al1026

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Forum you were helpful in past and need your help again
1984 Mercruiser with Alpha 1
trim & tilt was working fine
Had a little free time and decided too install a new bilge &; float switch
Bilge was dirty, and had exposed non working wires which I decided to neaten and clean that area .
This boat is a 21 ft Sea Ray very tight too get too areas.
Put water into bilge too test pump works fine.
Then I decided too run engine
Hit throttle too lower stern drive and NOTHING ; TRIM SWITCH DID NOTHING in any of the 3 positions . SILENT - no clicking .
Throttle is an older quick silver 1984 3 way switch built into handle .
Thinking I cut a wire or messed up a needed wire for trim but wiring I touched was not hooked up too anything and had a number of ground wiring un used .
As I said trim worked prior too bilge pump install ?
I have owed this boat many years and never had any trim & tilt issues. I add oil at times .

I don't know what too look for or test trim & tilt
This is what I did so far
10 gauge wire from pump too battery
Battery is brand new
Red power battery
Black too neg of battery both nice and tight

Only have a 12 volt light tester

Put tester on 80 amp fuse there is power coming too it. .
Put tester on the 20 amp inline fuse on motor. Power coming in and out of in line 20 amp fuse
All indications and non sounds of anything clicking is a faulty wiring or another fuse that I cant locate
Can the small inline fuse still get power from the big fuse even if that 80 amp fuse is N>G.
Those fuses are not cheap
Pulled on line wiring and some have a 20 am inline fuse at throttle . Open mounting and able too test wiring too throttle
Searching back as far as I am able did not notice any inline fuse close too throttle. It might be within gunnel of boat ?
Put 12 volt tester on the 4 wires from trim too handle all have power except the purple ?
2 yellow with red stripes for the kill switch go into dash and all have power

What concerns me is the silence .
I understand I can jump hot too one of the solenoids and it might work but I don't know what I am looking for
I am used too the starter solenoids crapping out and thinking if a solenoid is n.g. on trim the other would work or make some noise

Checking the wiring it all looks understandable but I don't know what I am looking for. No problem buying another motor if need just don't want too buy when its not motor
thanks
AL

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Sounds like somehow you opened the power line to the handle switches. Go ahead and try jumpering from the hot side of the solenoid the the b/w wire on the small terminal of the up and on the small g/w on the down. In both cases the solenoid should activate and the motor should run. If so chances you are not getting power to the switch.