Is my carb missing something?

Powerstroked73

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys got this ignition set up in this boat I just got and timed. It rolls over and tried to catch but no go. Look in the carb it needs a rebuild got the 78 firebird kit that works on it took off the carb sprayed some starting fluid don't the intake and it started right up so the carb is choking it. I'm rebuilding it but aren't there springs or something on the side to connect it all other then the throttle cable?

sti1471

Petty Officer 1st Class
Oh man, that carb has seen better days. I would think that maybe replacing the carb might be the option to go for.

When you had the carb on the engine, after your attempts to start it, when you removed the lid of the carb, was there fuel in the carb fuel bowl or was it dry? We need to determine if there is even fuel making it into the carb.

with the carb disconnected, take the fuel line from the fuel pump (the end that plugged into the carb inlet) and put it in a bottle or jar. Turn the engine over several times and see if there is fuel coming out of the fuel hose? to make it easier on the starter, use some starer fluid and let the running engine work the fuel pump. If there is not fuel coming from the line then we need to start there.

Last edited:

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Hey guys got this ignition set up in this boat I just got and timed. It rolls over and tried to catch but no go. Look in the carb it needs a rebuild got the 78 firebird kit that works on it took off the carb sprayed some starting fluid don't the intake and it started right up so the carb is choking it. I'm rebuilding it but aren't there springs or something on the side to connect it all other then the throttle cable?

If I am not mistaken, there are no external springs at all. Just what you have. Couple springs inside on the accelerator pump and a couple tiny springs, that's it.

RIck

alldodge

Staff member

Number one thing, we need to know what were working on, engine, year, serial number, something other then a carb. Sure you have a pic of a carb but if we knew what it was on, we could then offer what you might be missing

Powerstroked73

Seaman Apprentice
It's on a mercruiser 470 1986 inline 4 It's all dry. I have a aftermarket holly electric fuel pump on it so I know it's gettin fuel but the fuel bowls are dry. It is pretty bad so it's being rebuilt and it's all sitting in parts cleaner. Hopefully that'll work

sti1471

Petty Officer 1st Class
If the Fuel Bowl is dry then you need to check your float drop levels. It sounds like your float is stuck and closing the inlet with the needle.

One thing you can test is to take the lid of the carb and put the needle and float back on the carb as it was. Then turn it over (in the same position it sits on the carb) and put your mouth on the fuel inlet and blow. If you can blow air in then that is good. If you cannot, then that is why fuel is not getting in. In that case check the float drop and make sure the measurement is at spec. If it is, then remove it and remove the little needle, and try to blow into the carb again. If you still can't then remove the brass inlet barb from the carb and see if there is a fuel filter behind there and check for filter condition, and or other blockages.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
It's on a mercruiser 470 1986 inline 4 It's all dry. I have a aftermarket holly electric fuel pump on it so I know it's gettin fuel but the fuel bowls are dry. It is pretty bad so it's being rebuilt and it's all sitting in parts cleaner. Hopefully that'll work

Ayuh,.... Was the needle valve stuck when ya pulled it apart,..??