engine overheat water not getting to the outdrive?

betayv

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I just bought a 1987 searay with 5.7 and alpha one outdrive, carburetor was rebuild and new batteries so we star the engine put the ear on the outdrive and I cant see water coming thru the exhaust bellows, the engine start overheating so I turn it off, any ideas what should I do thanks.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
remove the outdrive and run the motor on a hose to isolate the problem

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
remove the outdrive and run the motor on a hose to isolate the problem

betayv

How I run the water to the engine without outdrive?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
You can just poke the hose in the water passage on the bell housing, where the o-ring is, and turn it on. The other way is pull the 1 inch hose coming from the transom to the thermostat housing and slide a hose over the thermostat end and turn the water on. Don't need a ton of water if connected to the thermostat housing.

Mot likely your water pump is bad in the outdrive and needs work/replacing. That should be part of your annual inspection, so if you haven't looked at it, now's the time.

Rick

betayv

hey rick Im going to pull the outdrive and do all the bellows, water pump, and complete maintenance, I been looking on you tube for some videos but most of them are imcomplete, I remember before iboats used to have some of the service manuals on pdf anywhere I can found them.

Bondo

Staff member
hey rick Im going to pull the outdrive and do all the bellows, water pump, and complete maintenance, I been looking on you tube for some videos but most of them are imcomplete, I remember before iboats used to have some of the service manuals on pdf anywhere I can found them.

Ayuh,..... Same place they've always been,..... Don'S Adults Only section at the top of this forum,.....

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
Once you replace all the parts make sure and turn on the water BEFORE you start the engine and not vise-versa like mentioned in your original post.....

Achris has sme really good video's that are linked to in the adults only section.