1979 Sea Ray Engine?

upjumpin

Recruit
Hey guys, I bought a beat up 20' 1979 Sea Ray cuddy. I'd like to find an owner's and service manual for it as it needs some help. I have no history on the boat and can't determine what Mercruiser it has in it. I managed to get a number off the valve cover. It's 4620356, if that helps. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

fordmann78

Cadet
Is there a sticker on the out drive or valve cover with 888 or 898 or something similar? Or can you snap a few photos?

Bondo

Staff member
Hey guys, I bought a beat up 20' 1979 Sea Ray cuddy. I'd like to find an owner's and service manual for it as it needs some help. I have no history on the boat and can't determine what Mercruiser it has in it. I managed to get a number off the valve cover. It's 4620356, if that helps. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... How many cylinders is the motor,..??

4, 6, or 8,..??

The drive is no doubt, most likely the ole MC-1 drive, or some variation of the MC-1 drive,.....

Owners manuals might be tough, 'n pretty useless anyways,...
Factory motor/ drive manuals can be found by followin' the links in Don'S Adults Only section at the top of this forum,....

Last edited:

upjumpin

Recruit
It's an 8 cylinder. I'm guessing it's a Ford 302 or 351. The distributor is in the front. The whole engine has been painted black but, I can see 233 HP on the valve cover. I hadn't seen that before taking the pics. The shift controls are what I'm working on now and most interested in. It shifts fine into forward but it doesn't engage properly in reverse... bumps and grinds.
Thanks for the help. Pics are attached.

Bondo

Staff member
It's an 8 cylinder. I'm guessing it's a Ford 302 or 351. The distributor is in the front. The whole engine has been painted black but, I can see 233 HP on the valve cover. I hadn't seen that before taking the pics. The shift controls are what I'm working on now and most interested in. It shifts fine into forward but it doesn't engage properly in reverse... bumps and grinds.
Thanks for the help. Pics are attached.

Ayuh,.... The 233hp would be a 351 Windsor motor,..... As I said, the drive oughta be an MC-1,...

Yer shift problem, sounds like it needs a new lower shift cable, it's worn out, 'n to much slop,...

upjumpin

Recruit
Thanks Bondo. I'll see about finding a manual and maybe I can then find which cable that is I need.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Hmmmmm. Mercruiser stopped using Ford engines in 1977, and the serial number you quoted in the first post is from 1977... But Bondo is right, an MC-1 drive.... PM me for manual details....