ol' girl update/ questions

Afternoon gentlemen,
How has your boating season been going. Mine has been good. Boat has worked well. Got my overheating issue figured out. Was a gasket that was upside down blocking a portion of the water pump off and temp sender was bad. Runs around 160 with no issues. Still have low RPM issue. Runs about 3800 wide open and only flucuates about 200 rpm with everyone in the boat versus two grown adults in it. I have reset the points, set timing to 6 degrees btdc with an rpm idle of 750.(doesn't like to idle at 500). Pulls 1 person tube with a 250 lbs high school football player pretty good. Thinking of changing prop and see how that works out.
Now for the question, I have this weird growl when turning. I have found some conflicting information about how to tell if gimble is bad. So, i am hoping you all can set the record straight. Last yr when i had to fix a shifting issue, i took outdrive off and while it was off, I reached in there and spun the gimble with my hand and it was smooth as glass. I have not rechecked it after hearing the noise but find it hard to believe that it is the gimble bearing. Can the u-joints make a noise similar? Don't remember how the u-joints felt.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
U-joints or Gimbal. One or both of them is unhappy. Only way to tell is pull the drive off and spin them and feel for slop or drag. The signs are pretty obvious anyway.

Good luck.

RIck

alldodge

Staff member
Afternoon gentlemen,
How has your boating season been going. Mine has been good. Boat has worked well. Got my overheating issue figured out. Was a gasket that was upside down blocking a portion of the water pump off and temp sender was bad. Runs around 160 with no issues. Still have low RPM issue. Runs about 3800 wide open and only flucuates about 200 rpm with everyone in the boat versus two grown adults in it. I have reset the points, set timing to 6 degrees btdc with an rpm idle of 750.(doesn't like to idle at 500). Pulls 1 person tube with a 250 lbs high school football player pretty good. Thinking of changing prop and see how that works out.
Now for the question, I have this weird growl when turning. I have found some conflicting information about how to tell if gimble is bad. So, i am hoping you all can set the record straight. Last yr when i had to fix a shifting issue, i took outdrive off and while it was off, I reached in there and spun the gimble with my hand and it was smooth as glass. I have not rechecked it after hearing the noise but find it hard to believe that it is the gimble bearing. Can the u-joints make a noise similar? Don't remember how the u-joints felt.

It would sure help to know what were working one. Is it a 4, 6 or 8 cylinder engine? So far as 3800 rpm that is low for about every one of the engines. You say it's pulling just fine but cannot get the rpms up. Probably need to reduce the prop pitch down some. What are you running now?

As for the noise, +1 with Rick and will ask another question. How far up do you have the trim when your running? Up quite a bit or just a little?

Edit for got :welcome: to iboats

Last edited:
Sorry bout the lack of info. The boat is a 1966 starcraft holiday.18ft. It has a Mercruiser 110hp i/o with a mc-1 outdrive. The ram bolt that the lock hooks up on is in the 3rd hole from the transom. I do not have trim, only tilt and it locks down on the inner tilt ram bolt.

Bondo

Staff member
Sorry bout the lack of info. The boat is a 1966 starcraft holiday.18ft. It has a Mercruiser 110hp i/o with a mc-1 outdrive. The ram bolt that the lock hooks up on is in the 3rd hole from the transom. I do not have trim, only tilt and it locks down on the inner tilt ram bolt.

Ayuh,.... If the gimbal bearin' is smooth as butter, I'm guessin' the u-joints will probably have little tiny ridges on the bearin' surface, when ya get 'em apart,....