Boat dips to one side while cruising

CatriderF7

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a boat that sits fine in the water and at no wake speeds. But right when you get on plane it immediately starts to dip on the right side. Its bad enough to where the first time I drove it, I immediately let off the gas and checked the bilge to see if we were taking on water. The boat wasnt sinking, but it felt like it. If i let the wheel go straight it will dip on the right side, I have to counter steer it to the left a little in order for the boat to drive straight and level.

Maybe an outdrive alignment issue? I was going to swap the prop out and run it again. The one on it is pretty weird looking. Looks like its been repaired but its more obvious than any other prop ive seen. But im not sure if a prop could even cause this. Ive never had the outdrive apart or off, but I dont know anything about its past

Last edited:

mkfs9

Seaman
Do you have an anode on the leg that can be adjusted to help boat run straight.just above the prop.

alldodge

Staff member
I have a boat that sits fine in the water and at no wake speeds. But right when you get on plane it immediately starts to dip on the right side. Its bad enough to where the first time I drove it, I immediately let off the gas and checked the bilge to see if we were taking on water. The boat wasnt sinking, but it felt like it. If i let the wheel go straight it will dip on the right side, I have to counter steer it to the left a little in order for the boat to drive straight and level.

Maybe an outdrive alignment issue? I was going to swap the prop out and run it again. The one on it is pretty weird looking. Looks like its been repaired but its more obvious than any other prop ive seen. But im not sure if a prop could even cause this. Ive never had the outdrive apart or off, but I dont know anything about its past

How many blades are on the prop? If you have a 4 or 5 blade prop you might be getting to much lift for the boat. Does the cavitation plate align with the bottom of the hull, sort of even or a bit up from the bottom?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Engine torque will cause the hull to react, by listing to the starboard (the opposite direction to crankshaft rotation). Try this next time you are in the water at a jetty. Just lift the 'fast idle' lever rapidly and push it back down again. I bet you notice the boat heel to starboard as the engine revs up. What you are feeling is completely normal, especially if it's a deep V hull. Mine does the same thing.

Something I was told years ago, what happened to the first 'cigarette' hull they fitted with a Merlin engine.... On start up the engine torque was so high that the hull tried to rotate as the crank wanted to stay still. I believe the boat flipped.

Chris......

crewscontrol

Seaman
I had exactly the same problem on my 21 foot Glassmaster Regency with 5.7 Mercruiser that I bought new in 1986. (I still have it) Since the factory was only 30 miles away I towed it to the factory. They inspected it and found nothing wrong. Then we (Mr Truella the Glassmaster Boat factory owner, a technician, and I) took it to the lake for a test run. It was VERY obvious that the boat listed very far to the starboard side when running and with equally distributed weight (passengers). In order to make the boat run level I had to put 3-4 passengers on the port side to just one (driver) on the starboard side. To correct my problem the factory installed Bennett trim tabs at their expense. This same boat is still in my possession and is used often. By using the trim tabs the boat runs perfectly flat no matter how the load is distributed and has done so for 28 years. Unfortunately Glassmaster boats no longer exists. They were 100% hand laid (no chopper guns). I guess the labor to build them was just too much for the market to bear.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I'd swap to another prop, 'n try it,....

CatriderF7

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Huh well that makes me feel a little better about it now knowing it may be normal. I dont have one of those anodes on it, just a flat plate although I do have one on my other boat I could try on it and see if it helps. Ill also try changing the prop before I take it out next. It has an aluminum 3 blade on it now.

achris

The trim tab on the drive is just for correcting steering torque, and since your engine has 'non-feedback' power steering, you have no need for a trim tab, just the anodic plate you have. A trim tab will do nothing for listing due to engine torque, neither will changing to a different prop. Transom mounted trim tabs is about the only thing that will help, and they need to be independently adjustable (I think most are)....

Walt T

Lieutenant
I use Bennett hydraulic tabs. Lots of kids and adults moving around on my boat

mike165

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have Lenco Electric seperate control on a 07 215 Bayliner work great,auto return to up when you turn the motor off 2 years old never a beat

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
I don't think smart tabs will fix an extreme listing condition...........

JaCrispy

Petty Officer 1st Class
What about adding ballast? Move both batteries to port side, etc. I found my boat lists a little on plane after removing my hydrofoil. But it will eventually correct itself.

Last edited:

Rick Stephens

Admiral
The Smart Tabs do what they advertise them to do. Nothing more or less. Good product for the minimal cost and install labor. Yes, they can be set stronger on one side. Not sure if that would even be necessary. Did wonders in a number of ways for my smaller boat. No clue how they would do on your issue. I'd try em. Money back warranty, what's the risk?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I'd still like to see a picture of the prop/ drive,.....

mybadford

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I don't know for sure but it's what I have heard but a left hand rotating prop might help out in a situation like this. Again that's just what I've heard.

Last edited:

achris

To run a counter rotating propeller you will need to change out the lower half of the drive... And as the prop would then be spinning in the same direction as the engine, the problem will be worse, not better.