boat felt like it whent into neutral at wot

cap preston

Recruit
I purchased an 88 sea ray sorrento with a 5.7 mercruiser with an alpha one this spring, it is my first boat even though i used to build east coast lobster fishing boats (carpenter), so i know my way around a boat. Ok so to the dilemma. The other morning after recently changing the spark plugs and fuel filter i took it for a run where it ran great for 30min. I stopped for a bit and when i took off slowly then whent to wot, before i got up onto plane it was like it was thrown into neutral and revved to high heaven. So i shut it down, checked the prop, was still there, put in gear and couldnt move prop (not a spun hub) but engaging obviously??? Started it up and still wouldnt engage. Got towed into the nearest launch. When i returned a couple of hours later with the trailer i started it and when i whent to engage it stalled out numerous times, used to stall periodically when pulled into neutral before this. Brought it home and unhooked the interupter switch, started it and when engaged it would not stall but wouldnt engage the drive. Drained the oil out of the drive, looked fine with no chunks of metal, few barely seeable specks but nothing really. Refilled it and here iam. So iam thinking its bad cables and an interuptor switch as i didnt here any rumbling or any burnt rubber smells before it stopped working....??? Some advice would be appreciated.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Sounds like the interupt is working as it should. You had stalling issues before,because the lower shift cable is wore out.its probaly not letting the clutch dog engage completly now. Time for a cable,bellows,trim pucks,u-joint service,gimble and alignment check. Oh what the heck,might as well throw an impeller in there too.

cap preston

Recruit
Ya iam kinda thinking from what i have read online that its the lower shift cable cuz the controller is rather stiff. But the wife is freaking of all the money i spent on the boat this year so being up here in ontario canada, i might have a month of boating if that left, so was going to do all that in the spring but would like to get a couple of more runs out of it before winterizing.

Bondo

Staff member
Ya iam kinda thinking from what i have read online that its the lower shift cable cuz the controller is rather stiff. But the wife is freaking of all the money i spent on the boat this year so being up here in ontario canada, i might have a month of boating if that left, so was going to do all that in the spring but would like to get a couple of more runs out of it before winterizing.

Ayuh,.... Disconnect the lower shift cable at the shift plate, 'n try to manually engage the drive,....

If that fails,...
Pull the drive, 'n manually check it while off,...

cap preston

Recruit
Well its worse then i thought, i pulled the sterndrive off and it is seized, thinking something blew apart on the top end. Took it to the marine mechanics and awaiting diagnosis.

Bondo

Staff member
Well its worse then i thought, i pulled the sterndrive off and it is seized, thinking something blew apart on the top end. Took it to the marine mechanics and awaiting diagnosis.

Ayuh,.... Buy a new Sei, 'n be done with it,...... it'll be cheaper,.....