Fresh water cooling installation

KA23

Cadet
After tons of searching I think I finally found the boat I want. The only issue is it has a brand new raw water cooled 5.7 engine. I would use it 90 percent in fresh water but could have it in salt water for up to a week at a time a couple times per year without flushing it out. Would investing in a fresh water cooling system make sense or should I just run it as is? Also I would to have a shop do this because I don't have the time. Approximate cost to this? Other than that she's a beauty and in great shape for an 18 year old boat! I really want to protect the brand new (not rebuilt) engine though. Input please.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Welcome to IBOATS

"Brand new" can be words that mean different things to different folks so "factory new" is different than "rebuilt new".
Pros and cons each way but for an 18 year old boat and using it that little in salt water where you could flush it out once done would not warrant the expense for fwc.
As far as price, there are different systems that can be installed commonly referred to as "half systems" or "full systems"; which you can google to get a ball-park price then depending on the local rates at a shop in your area would determine the final cost.

Mark

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
After tons of searching I think I finally found the boat I want. The only issue is it has a brand new raw water cooled 5.7 engine. I would use it 90 percent in fresh water but could have it in salt water for up to a week at a time a couple times per year without flushing it out. Would investing in a fresh water cooling system make sense or should I just run it as is? Also I would to have a shop do this because I don't have the time. Approximate cost to this? Other than that she's a beauty and in great shape for an 18 year old boat! I really want to protect the brand new (not rebuilt) engine though. Input please.

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... Under those circumstances, I'd put yer money into the gas tank, insteada the coolin' system,....

If she's got good bones,... Go for it,....