Leak on Alpha one Gen 1 help please

Mrblue4274

Cadet
Can anyone please tell me if it's normal for water to come out of the hole in the picture, above the transom mount nut cover, if the hull has water in it. I'm trying to find a leak so I filled the hull with water just under engine to see where water came out at . There was water coming out of the holes on both sides, thanks for any info.

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Here is a video that I took showing the water coming out of those side hole. Even though my outdrives are Bravos . . . Alphas are similar in that regard.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If you put water in the boat and it came out those holes ,you have a rotted Y pipe . This will leak water into the hull on land, on a hose or in the water not running.

Mrblue4274

Cadet
Ok, yes I filled the hull with water, with the plug in and water was coming out of both those holes, without the engine running or any water hooked up via muffs. So a y pipe is most likely the culprit then ? I'll do a search and see what I can find.

Mrblue4274

Cadet
Ok I'm thoroughly convinced now , put muffs on and with engine running I can see water dripping down back towards bottom of transom plate. My question now is the exhaust goes out the exhaust bellows right, or maybe I looked up wrong y pipe. Of course I can't see back there because my heads too big and it's way back there. What's my options on repairs, and is it exhaust y that you where referring to, thanks for the help, and I'm really hoping I don't hear your gonna have to pull engine.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
ypipe-1_zpsba72d5d9.jpg

Mrblue4274

Cadet
So not sure yet exact problem , but after feeling around down there and feeling an open hole, then finding bolt for y pipe in the hull, I started the task of pulling engine. After removing outdrive, and all electrical connections I removed the exhaust rubber boots and 90's to find the exhaust y extremely loose. So can't tell if it's rotted out yet , or if any other bolts vibrated out. The motor mount bolts where tight, but for some reason on the top 2 transom bolts one was finger tight, and the other was snug at best. I believe everything is ready for the pull tomorrow, so we'll see what we end up with. Just for the record the boats a 18' 1988 Rinker Captiva, with a 4.3 in it. This is the first boat I've owned, and got it on a trade about a month ago.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
You're going to be an expert in virtually no time! Awesome job on getting ready to pull the motor.

RIck

Mrblue4274

Cadet
No Title

Looks like it just needs new o- ring gasket, and a bolt , no wonder it was leaking with one bolt laying on top of Y, one bolt MIA, and the other two finger tight. Someone's been in here before, judging be the copper gasket goop on top of the o-ring.

Attachments

• photo207372.jpg
    photo207372.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo207373.jpg
    photo207373.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 2