Dead Batteries

FreeBeeTony

Captain
In another post I explained how my alternator smoked........I checked the voltage while still running and it was ~13.5V. Tonight I went to start removing the alternator and both batteries were completely dead.......4.9V.......after having them on charge for several hours the day before. The battery switch was off.......the only thing that was connected were the bilge pumps which were on auto and definitely not on. Could the alternator have something to do with the batteries being dead? I started removing the alternator tonight. Any ideas?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
if both batteries were dead with the battery switch in the off position then the batteries went bad and took out the alt.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
if both batteries were dead with the battery switch in the off position then the batteries went bad and took out the alt.

FreeBeeTony

Captain
I'm going to charge them and see if they will hold a charge, seems odd that both batteries would go at the same time.
Guess I shoudn't start the boat if the batteries won't hold a charge.

FreeBeeTony

Captain
I'm going to charge them and see if they will hold a charge, seems odd that both batteries would go at the same time.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
like I said, with the switch off there is no draw and the batteries should last for months. If they go dead there bad,period
If you charge them , let them sit for a day or two and recheck the voltage. I`m betting there both going to be dead again.

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Do you think the alternator had anything to do with the batteries going bad at the same time?

Bondo

Staff member
Do you think the alternator had anything to do with the batteries going bad at the same time?

In another post I explained how my alternator smoked........I checked the voltage while still running and it was ~13.5V. Tonight I went to start removing the alternator and both batteries were completely dead.......4.9V.......after having them on charge for several hours the day before. The battery switch was off.......the only thing that was connected were the bilge pumps which were on auto and definitely not on. Could the alternator have something to do with the batteries being dead? I started removing the alternator tonight. Any ideas?

Ayuh,.... Donno Tony,.... It might be the Chicken, or the Egg question,.....

Did the alternator kill the batteries,..??
Or,...
Did a dead shorted battery cell kill the alternator,..??

Try chargin' the batteries, if they don't hold a charge, yer changin' 'em anyways,...

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Update........wound up replacing the alternator and BOTH batteries.
Not sure what took out what............doesn't matter at this point.