spliting mercuiser sterndrive after its removed from the boat

rye1980

Recruit
i am new to boating and recently got one with a 120hp mercruiser with sterndrive. I need to replace the impeller on the sterndrive so I drained the oil, put the shifter in forward and removed the sterndrive from the boat. All 6 bolts have been removed to split the caseing, I can lift the gear box up approx. 1/2" then it comes to a dead stop. It appears to be hitting on the lip of the shift linkage on the outter side of the casing. any suggestions to to getting this fella apart would be great. I do not want to bust anything so I figured id try the experts.

NHGuy

Captain
Did you remove the skeg and the allen bolt that's right above it?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
none of the merc drives use 6 bolts, to split the unit you drop the lower down not raise the upper??????????

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
none of the merc drives use 6 bolts, to split the unit you drop the lower down not raise the upper??????????

No, but there are six fasteners. The four along the sides, the one in the front and the one under the trim tab.

If you have dropped it a half inch, then you have removed all of the fasteners. I would guess it is simply corrosion along the studs holding it in place.

rye1980

Recruit
I have watched a ton of videos and they all show the bottom pulling apart easy peasy . There doesn't seem to be any corrosion on the bolts . All i can tell is the shift linkage has a casted ring on it that it seems to be catching on.

rye1980

Recruit
I have watched a ton of videos and they all show the bottom pulling apart easy peasy . There doesn't seem to be any corrosion on the bolts . All i can tell is the shift linkage has a casted ring on it that it seems to be catching on.

Just keep spraying the exposed bolts with penetrating spray. if you have to pry them apart at all, just be as even as possible and stay away from the area of the quad ring. It seals the oil passage between two halves, as noted in the picture:

quad o-ring noted.JPG

Attachments

• quad o-ring noted.JPG
    quad o-ring noted.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 0

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
You don't mention what drive you are working on, but assuming it is an Alpha, then the only linkage that you could be describing is the intermediate shift shaft - and that simply sits on the splined shaft in the picture that Eric posted.

But let get some specifics on what you are working on.

rye1980

Recruit
I do believe that it is an alpha . Id like to thank you guys for your assistance the pics and input were very helpful. Now i see its a splined shaft i can work with that.