4.3 noise troubleshooting

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Earlier in the year had a rocker arm explode while underway. Replaced that and have done several oil changes to help clear the debris for the engine. If this noise was here before, I dunno... Cause the rocker arm used to rattle pretty loudly. Before you get on me about adjusting them, they are pedestal mount... so non adjustable. But now I get a noise anytime over 4000rpm. It's hard to tell exactly where it's coming from. So my question... would it hurt anything to remove the belt and just get on plane up to 4000 rpm to see if it's a belt driven accessory noise??? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

alldodge

Staff member
Earlier in the year had a rocker arm explode while underway. Replaced that and have done several oil changes to help clear the debris for the engine. If this noise was here before, I dunno... Cause the rocker arm used to rattle pretty loudly. Before you get on me about adjusting them, they are pedestal mount... so non adjustable. But now I get a noise anytime over 4000rpm. It's hard to tell exactly where it's coming from. So my question... would it hurt anything to remove the belt and just get on plane up to 4000 rpm to see if it's a belt driven accessory noise??? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Depends on how long you left it there. Your engine is going to be producing a lot of heat getting to and sustaining that rpm. I'll take it you have a serpentine belt setup and you have tried removing and checking each pulley by hand?

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Oh yeah, it would be for a short blip of the throttle. Maybe 15 seconds tops! I would know right away if it's making the noise or not. Comes in right at 4000. I have a feeling it's internal but I thought I would try this first. I have had the belt off and felt by hand each accessory... but I can't spin them to 4000 by hand :)

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Just dropped her in the water and gave it a try. Definitely a belt driven item making the noise! Makes me happy it's not internal engine noise. Now I can sleep at night.