Winterizing the Mercruiser MX 6.2 MPI

Merc4ever

Petty Officer 1st Class
yes they do. Mercury part number [h=3]877770Q 1[/h]

You're right, and to no surprise it's twice the price of Wally worlds 50/50. Still when I look in my owners manual they push the Mercury brand oil by saying "we strongly recommend the use of Quicksilver 25W- 40 marine engine oil". I can get Mobil 1 25W-50 racing oil cheaper, and better IMO but that's another story. In the same owners manual they don't even mention the Quicksilver anti freeze they just say "a mixture of anti freeze".

My point being I still don't think it was a marketing push for dealers or a wives tale just a good, cheap, easy, idea to protect your most expensive part.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
My point is recommending a toxic ethylene glycol antifreeze for winterizing, which can be a sloppy process at best is the height of irresponsibility, when non toxic Propylene Glycol (RV) antifreeze will do the same job.

Merc4ever

Petty Officer 1st Class
My point is recommending a toxic ethylene glycol antifreeze for winterizing, which can be a sloppy process at best is the height of irresponsibility, when non toxic Propylene Glycol (RV) antifreeze will do the same job.

For sure! I'm all about protecting our water, sadly the North end of my favorite lake is already ruined by blue-green algae growth from farm field fertilizer runoff. If there's any chance you can't get every drop flushed out before you get to the lake don't use poison.

Glen Watkins

Recruit
The video was helpful for winterizing my 6.2 but what about spraying the plug holes with oil? I heard that might be a good idea too or is it overkill?

Merc4ever

Petty Officer 1st Class
what about spraying the plug holes with oil? I heard that might be a good idea too or is it overkill?

If you are talking about the spark plug holes I don't think it would hurt, If you look at the first part ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7K1...ature=youtu.be ) you can see how we mix 2 stroke oil in, that fogs the engine and gets oil in the chambers. I don't do it because it's a pain to remove the plugs every year but more is probably better. I've seen other recommendations for 4 stroke engines to remove the spark plugs and spray fogging oil in, some say a teaspoon of motor oil also works.

philipp10

Seaman
I am definitely in the "always drain first camp". And if I am going to back fill with antifreeze, I use the purple -100 AF from west marine. I have put the -50 in the freezer and guess what, It freezes. Not solid of coarse, but I'm not taking a chance that there is any water left in there.

-50? Unless you are in Canada you'll never see -50 anyway...lol

Merc4ever

Petty Officer 1st Class
-50? Unless you are in Canada you'll never see -50 anyway...lol

I would use straight anti freeze if I lived far up North I'm sure they have their own sets of rules. I heard diesels run straight kerosene way up there because it's so cold the regular winter fuel gels up.