1986 Mercruiser 140 Head ,looks like damaged to the molded valve stem guides?

saltybutwet

Petty Officer 2nd Class
this head is from a 86 mercruiser 140 that i'm working on
not sure if this is just bad machining, or actual damage. If damage what could have caused it?....if it's bad machining for the rubber valve stem seals
what are you opinions? and I appreciate them thanks!
20140809_165437_zpsmyjssz6a.jpg

they all have some sort of grinding, or deterioration
2014-08-10-08-11-11_zps4aoccqdg.png

cups
20140810_124956_zpscuauwynl.jpg

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I guess you could could see if a new set of guides are available, at what cost and have new one pressed in at a machine shop.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
thee is nothing in that area of the guide to rub or grind anything. Looks like it was that way from the factory. Do the valves fit in the guides with the correct tolerance?

saltybutwet

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I guess you could could see if a new set of guides are available, at what cost and have new one pressed in at a machine shop.

those are cast in place valve guides, like the old chevys had, they have the valve stems molded inside, nothing wrong with them. I was just worried about the ground down areas, and the tops where the valve stem seals seats, looks like it has edges on some

saltybutwet

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thee is nothing in that area of the guide to rub or grind anything. Looks like it was that way from the factory. Do the valves fit in the guides with the correct tolerance?

maybe came that way from the factory? idk . I have never seen any cast in place valve guides look like this on the outside. The valves stems fitment no problem, the tolerances not checked yet.

I was more interested in if anyone else has seen this before, and the cups are all out of round except for one

thanks for the input, at some point I will get it to the machine shop