Water seems to be getting pumped in to the engine Mercruiser 140 stern drive HELP

Impaired

Cadet
She sank last weekend for about an hour and we got her drained etc
Changed the oil and flushed it until it was bone dry.
Checked two spark plugs for water and was good to go
Turned her over and got Hydro lock as the other two cylinders were full of water (should have checked all) Turned her over until there was no more water coming out (it shot 30' in the air impressive)
Changed the oil yet again since the water from the cylinders drained down.
Checked and had no spark
Left for a weeke replaced coil and oil filter and then put some fule down the carb and she tried to run
We drained the fuel tank and put new fule and Poof she fired up and was running smoother than she had before...... for about 4 minutes then all of sudden white liquid started gettting shot out the air breather above the carb and out the exhaust in to the lake!!! Checked the dip stick and clean water came flowing out the top of the dip stick tube.
SHut her down and pulled her out of the lake

The only thing I can think of that might have caused issues was that the stern drive was down when it sank and the perssure may have done some stress on something. It definatley appears as though the coolant system is pumping in to the engine some how

Hope fully there is another possible cause other than a cracked block cause that would suck goat balls

Any help please

alldodge

Staff member
She sank last weekend for about an hour and we got her drained etc
Changed the oil and flushed it until it was bone dry.
Checked two spark plugs for water and was good to go
Turned her over and got Hydro lock as the other two cylinders were full of water (should have checked all) Turned her over until there was no more water coming out (it shot 30' in the air impressive)
Changed the oil yet again since the water from the cylinders drained down.
Checked and had no spark
Left for a weeke replaced coil and oil filter and then put some fule down the carb and she tried to run
We drained the fuel tank and put new fule and Poof she fired up and was running smoother than she had before...... for about 4 minutes then all of sudden white liquid started gettting shot out the air breather above the carb and out the exhaust in to the lake!!! Checked the dip stick and clean water came flowing out the top of the dip stick tube.
SHut her down and pulled her out of the lake

The only thing I can think of that might have caused issues was that the stern drive was down when it sank and the perssure may have done some stress on something. It definatley appears as though the coolant system is pumping in to the engine some how

Hope fully there is another possible cause other than a cracked block cause that would suck goat balls

Any help please

I think it's a cracked block with that amount of water, but whether it's cracked somewhere else this should make no difference, you need to pull the engine and take it apart. Sorry to hear about your issue

Impaired

Cadet
me too

But i read on here that it is usually caused by an improper winterizing (which it was done very poorly on the first night it snowed (again not me) sincie it ran fine for all of july, do you think the blocked could have been partially cracked and the hydro lock pushed it over the edge?
Just can not see how sinking it would have cracked the block :(

Any good sites for rebuilt engines in the muskoka or Georgian shores area?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Oh man that does suck, did someone forget to put the plug in? Anyway, there's no Mr Fix It in a can for this one and besides the motor needing pulled for a tear down the stern drive needs pulled apart to check for water in the bellows, If what's in your post is all you did then... I would be worried about the PS pump reservoir having water in it and lines too since you ran it, trim pump reservoir/lines since it was used too without being drained first. Starter will be on it's last leg and possibly the alternator as well.

I just hope it wasn't saltwater.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
me too

But i read on here that it is usually caused by an improper winterizing (which it was done very poorly on the first night it snowed (again not me) sincie it ran fine for all of july, do you think the blocked could have been partially cracked and the hydro lock pushed it over the edge?
Just can not see how sinking it would have cracked the block :(

Any good sites for rebuilt engines in the muskoka or Georgian shores area?

For water to be pushed out the dip stick tube, there would be a lot of water coming in. Don't know what happened to it but it should be fairly easy to find with that amount of water. Instead of rebuild I would suggest a new crate engine, I know your engine is an old one, but look along the line of what it will take to replace. I'm pretty sure either the head or block (I'm thinking block) will not be usable.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
I suspect the hydrolock blew a giant chunk of the head gasket out and that's where water is coming in.