Mercruiser 140 fuel issue

Scorpion178

Recruit
Hi, I have a 87 scorpion 178 LTD and I'm not getting any fuel to the carb. With the fuel line disconnected I cant suck any fuel through the line. Boat ran great last year and has fuel in it. Any suggestions? Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Hi, I have a 87 scorpion 178 LTD and I'm not getting any fuel to the carb. With the fuel line disconnected I cant suck any fuel through the line. Boat ran great last year and has fuel in it. Any suggestions? Thanks

:welcome: to iboats

The fuel line coming from the tank should have an anti-siphon valve attached to the tank. In most cases the valve looks like a barbed fitting which the rubber fuel line is attached to. These valves can get corroded and stick closed. Remove it and see if it can be cleaned up. The valve allows for fuel to be come though it in one direction only. It can be made of brass or aluminum and are different sizes.

http://www.iboats.com/VALVE-ANTISIP...038899&pdv=c&gclid=CNKQiKXyiMACFbTm7Aodp0gAlQ

Scorpion178

Recruit
Thanks for the reply, I'm not at the boat today so I can't trying blowing into the fuel tank. How do I get to the anti siphon valve? In a worst case scenerio is getting to the fuel tank a big job? I have the repair manual for this boat, but it doesn't address fuel tank removal. Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks for the reply, I'm not at the boat today so I can't trying blowing into the fuel tank. How do I get to the anti siphon valve? In a worst case scenerio is getting to the fuel tank a big job? I have the repair manual for this boat, but it doesn't address fuel tank removal. Thanks

Follow the fuel line back to the tank, it is usually easy to get to. The rubber fuel line will connect to some kind of fitting, that fitting should be the anti-siphon valve

Scorpion178

Recruit
Ok cool, I was hoping I didn't have to open up the floor to get to the fuel system. Hopefully it's just this anti siphon valve and I'll be back on the water. Thanks

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Is there a fuel filter between the pump and the tank? There should be a deck pop out above the fuel tank fittings to give you access to them. The anti-siphon valve keeps fuel from reverse flowing back into the tank and shouldn't allow you to blow air into it. It's just a fitting with a ball inside it that plugs the hole. Here's a good article on fuel system trouble shooting.

http://www.louisianasportsman.com/details.php?id=1271