Mercruiser 3.0 Bogs and during acceleration and bogs stalls at full throttle.

Bangarng

Cadet
Hey guys, new guy here. I rebuilt my carb and now my 99 Regal 1800 LSR will bog when cruising past no wake and will bog and stall upon acceleration. I took her out after the rebuild and it acted up at first but then ran fine, but today it was bogging and stalling all day.

I've been doing research and it sounds like my accelerator pump. The rebuild kit came with a check ball but I didn't see one when I took the carb apart.

My question is if the missing check ball could be causing this trouble, or maybe I installed the accelerator pump backwards or something, or maybe the old check ball is jammed somewhere. I am unsure if it gets sucked into a hole or if it's always visible after removing the accelerator pump. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Hey guys, new guy here. I rebuilt my carb and now my 99 Regal 1800 LSR will bog when cruising past no wake and will bog and stall upon acceleration. I took her out after the rebuilt and it acted up at first but then ran fine, but today it was bogging and stalling all day.

I've been doing research and it sounds like my accelerator pump. The rebuild kit came with a check ball but I didn't see one when I took the carb apart.

My question is if the missing check ball could be causing this trouble, or maybe I installed the accelerator pump backwards or something, or maybe the old check ball is jammed somewhere. I am unsure if it gets sucked into a hole or if it's always visible after removed the accelerator pump. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Could sure use an engine serial number

The accelerator pump is used to give the engine a shot of fuel so the throttle can be opened quickly. Without the shot of fuel the engine will bog/stumble. If you can open the throttle very slowly and the engine picks up speed a little at a time, then yes the accelerator pump is the issue. Even with a bad accelerator pump the engine should be able to achieve WOT.

Yes, if the check ball and spring is not correctly installed or missing then the pump will not work

Item 15 is the accelerator pump and item 7 is the spring and check ball.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...37190.png&inbr=13603&bnbr=70&bdesc=Carburetor

Fastatv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Could sure use an engine serial number

The accelerator pump is used to give the engine a shot of fuel so the throttle can be opened quickly. Without the shot of fuel the engine will bog/stumble. If you can open the throttle very slowly and the engine picks up speed a little at a time, then yes the accelerator pump is the issue. Even with a bad accelerator pump the engine should be able to achieve WOT.

Yes, if the check ball and spring is not correctly installed or missing then the pump will not work QUOTE)

Yes^^^^^^^^^^^^ What ALLdodge says.....exactly! Since your going back in there, I recommend double checking your float level and if its a Mercarb 2bbl, use care when setting the air horn ( top of carb ) back down onto the carb body. It is entirely possible to miss the power valve pin with the power valve actuator if not careful. You have to line everything up....then slowly go straight down with the air horn. Good luck!