140 HP Alpha1 Mercruiser doesn't always want to start.

LouDoo

Recruit
As the title suggests, sometimes I need to turn the key several times to start the motor. Once the motor turns over it starts right up. I'm thinking the first step is to change the starter solenoid. Has anyone got any better ideas? The stern drive is in a 18', 2000 Bayliner Capri.

Thanks,
Lou

LouDoo

Recruit
Thanks for responding.

It was just tuned up this spring. It's not a problem starting, once the starter spins it starts right up, it just sometimes 2-3 times of turning the key to get the starter to spin.

Lou

Bondo

Staff member
As the title suggests, sometimes I need to turn the key several times to start the motor. Once the motor turns over it starts right up. I'm thinking the first step is to change the starter solenoid. Has anyone got any better ideas? The stern drive is in a 18', 2000 Bayliner Capri.

Thanks,
Lou

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... 'fore ya start buyin' parts,.... Remove, sand, 'n clean to Shiny metal Clean, ALL the wirin' connections in the startin' circuit,....

The Most likely cause of yer issue is Corroded wirin' ends,...

LouDoo

Recruit
Good point, actually I'm kinda embarrassed I didn't think of that. Actually I'm a Moderator of the Seadoo Forum, it's the kind of advice I would give, I guess I should follow my own advice, I'll clean the connections and apply dielectric grease. I'm at a little dis-advantage because I keep the boat at the lake not at home, but I'll just take the time to do it.

Wow 53000 posts, I've got a little over 10,000 on the Seadoo Forum, and I thought that was a lot. Sir I tip my hat to you. Thanks,

Lou

Bondo

Staff member
Good point, actually I'm kinda embarrassed I didn't think of that. Actually I'm a Moderator of the Seadoo Forum, it's the kind of advice I would give, I guess I should follow my own advice, I'll clean the connections and apply dielectric grease. I'm at a little dis-advantage because I keep the boat at the lake not at home, but I'll just take the time to do it.

Wow 53000 posts, I've got a little over 10,000 on the Seadoo Forum, and I thought that was a lot. Sir I tip my hat to you. Thanks,

Lou

Ayuh,.... Nobody said all 53,000 posts are Good advise,... ;) :D

LouDoo

Recruit
follow up.... Well, I'm pretty sure I got the problem fixed. I started at the ignition switch, I sprayed a little CRC contact cleaner in the switch itself, seems to have fixed the problem. Sometime things are so simple we tend to overlook them.

Lou